Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by mrconductor55

Hey everyone,

I was hoping that you guys could answer a few of my questions. I'll be spending my spring break at my place in Southwestern Michigan (Union Pier). I plan to spend a few days in Michigan City, chasing around South Shore Freight. I've never seen them moving in Michigan City, I've seen units hanging around the Shops, but thats about it.

I assume that most freight operations are based out of Michigan City.

On an average day, What kind of stuff am I bound to see?

Do coal trains go down 10th and 11th street?

Where is NICTD 1000 based, I've never seen it before?

When is lighting best for shooting on 10th and 11th street?

Do all westbound trains go down 10th and 11th street?

What industries do CSS serve in Michigan City

Thanks so Much
Frank
Last edited by mrconductor55 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Tadman

NICTD 1000 is based out of Shops, but I hardly see it moving. I haven't seen it on the main since 2006 on a ballast train.

There's some action occasionally at the power yard on the west side of town.

Around 4:00 each day, a set of geeps speeds west to work somewhere toward Hammond. They really haul-a** so you'll have to be ready for them.

Also, there's sometimes some switching going on at the ex-NKP yard that CSS now owns just north of shops.
  by MikeF

To answer a few more questions:

Unit coal trains do not run down 10th and 11th streets. Michigan City coal trains run between NIPSCO on the west side of Michigan City and the EJ&E interchange at Goff on the east side of Gary.

Tenth and 11th streets run pretty much east-west, so morning light is good for eastbound trains and afternoon light is good for westbound trains.

It's more common to see light engine moves on the street than revenue freight trains, since a large portion of CSS traffic is moved entirely between points west of Michigan City (such as Bailly, Miller and Burnham Yard).

South Shore Freight serves a handful of industries in Michigan City. The three big ones are the NIPSCO generating station on the west side of town, Criterion Catalysts on the former Michigan Central along US 12 on the north side of town, and GAF on the former Nickel Plate immediately southeast of the Shops.
  by jb9152

The NICTD 1000 (the Grey Ghost) should be out this Friday morning for a work drag (tie gang).