Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

Does Metra have any refueling locations outside of Chicago? The 14th St. & Western Ave facilities have them, while UP has M19A and OTC (the only actual downtown terminal to have one). Not sure about Elburn, while Hill Yard in Aurora and Joliet have the largest outlying yards, they would be the most likely to have them; anyone know for sure?
  by qboy

Can't speak for the other lines but none of the UP outlying yards have fueling terminals. It wouldn't be necessarily be a bad thing to have but not really needed. Because all the equipment is top of the night before, or upon arrival at CPT, or going out to ramp on the trip in the next morning. In recent years it was a couple of years ago on the UP North line of a train running out of fuel enroute very embarassing but very rare. When the coach yard used to be at West Chicago I could recall fuel truck being called to fuel any engine, but a very rare occurence.
  by milw1967

Elgin and Fox Lake have emergency fuel stations. We only use them when blizzards, breakdowns or other emergencys prohibit regular fueling at Western Ave.
  by Passenger

Forgive the naive question.

Where would refuelling normally be done?

Near the Chicago terminals? Or does it vary for different lines?
  by doepack

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Forgive the naive question.

Where would refuelling normally be done?

Near the Chicago terminals? Or does it vary for different lines?
Metra's 14th St. and Western Ave. facilities are normal refueling locations for routes based out of Union Station. For LaSalle St., it's 47th, and Ogilvie trains (for the UP lines) are refueled either at the terminal or at their engine servicing facility at M19A, located about 4 miles west...
  by Engineer Spike

When I worked on BN, the engines were fueled at 14th St. There was no fuel facility at the Hill Yard. The trains in the Hill yard go on shore power. The units had block heaters which were powered by the 480v HEP lines. The same thing in CUS, on long lay overs. At these times, the prime mover was shut down.
The trains all went to the yard in Chicago. The power was head pinned and taken to the shop for service. I hosteled there once.
At the end of the mid day lay over, the units are put on the train, then taken to the station.
  by endofthelineaurora

There is a fuel station at the Hill Yard in Aurora now. It isn't used very often though.
  by Engineer Spike

That fuel at the Hill Yard must be new. I can see where it would be useful. If there is a unit failure, and another one has to do double duty, it may not get a chance to be serviced downtown.