• Some passengers on 3 sequential disabled trains

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Ken W2KB

About New York Arrival/Departure Delays of Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast Line and Midtown Direct service

NJ TRANSIT apologizes for the significant delay and inconvenience many of you experienced this morning.

At approximately 6 a.m., Morris & Essex Lines Midtown Direct train 6606 became disabled near Morristown Station due to a mechanical problem. Although the train was able to regain power, it continued to experience mechanical difficulties and was canceled at Newark Broad Street Station as a precaution. Train 6606’s passengers were transferred to following train 6610.

At approximately 7:10 a.m., train 6610 became mechanically disabled at Kearny Junction, where the Morris & Essex Lines connect to the Northeast Corridor. Train 6610 was able to regain power and continue to Secaucus Junction, where it was also canceled as a precautionary measure, with passengers transferred to trains 3550 and 3918. Resulting congestion caused delays of 15-20 minutes to Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast Line and Midtown Direct trains.

Unfortunately, at approximately 8 a.m., Northeast Corridor train 3918 became disabled in the South Tube due to a mechanical problem. An Amtrak rescue locomotive was dispatched to tow the train back into the station, and the train was cleared from the tunnel at approximately 9:10 a.m.

However, until the disabled train could be moved, all NJ TRANSIT and Amtrak trains in both directions were forced to share the single-track North Tube for service in and out of New York Penn Station. This caused significant delays to all trains ranging from 30-60 minutes throughout the morning peak period. In addition, some Midtown Direct trains were rerouted to and from Hoboken Terminal, where customers could use their rail tickets and passes at no additional charge to continue their trip via PATH.

Regrettably, some customers who were on the first disabled train, train 6606, were also on the other two trains that became disabled and incurred an even greater delay, arriving in New York more than two hours after train 6606 was scheduled to arrive.

At approximately 9:10 a.m., the South Tube was returned to service and normal operations resumed using both tunnels. Residual delays affected service through the mid-morning hours.

During this incident, we provided the most current service information via station PA announcements, broadcast traffic reports and the My Transit alert system, which delivers travel advisories for your specific trip to your cell phone, PDA or pager. (If you are not yet a My Transit subscriber, we encourage you to sign up at http://www.njtransit.com.) In addition, to provide customers with alternate travel options, we established cross-honoring on PATH at Newark Penn Station and Hoboken Terminal.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience. If you have additional questions or comments regarding these delays, please contact us online at http://www.njtransit.com or by calling NJ TRANSIT Customer Service at 973-275-5555.
  by OportRailfan

can we say....EPIC fail?
  by ApproachMedium

Didnt 6606 break down last week? I guess they are starting to see the effects of lack of correct repairs hit them all at once. Unless this also had to do with all the ice issues from yesterday, im sure that didnt help.
  by Jtgshu

Remember, its never the snow storm itself that disables the train and equipment, its the days after when the snow and ice get blown around, melts and then refreezes, etc in lots of places where it shouldn't be. During the storm itself the delays are usually the tracks, signals and switches, not the equipment. It flip flops in the following days - the track is fine adn back to normal, everything else goes to pot.........

This is nothing new, but today the stars aligned (to use a bad analogy) just the right way for those folks who were on 6606. :(

DOH!

same day service though! :)
  by oknazevad

OportRailfan wrote:can we say....EPIC fail?
That sums it up perfectly. Exactly the words I would use.
  by jp1822

I was hearing from a lot of passengers that they would have expected the "failures" and delays that happened today with NJT on the NEC that they were surprised it didn't happen yesterday, Monday 3/2, during the snow storm. A lot of people took off yesterday on account of the the snow, so it was more of a "holiday train operation." But today everyone was eager or needed to get to work etc. Ironic - perhaps.
  by OportRailfan

oknazevad wrote:
OportRailfan wrote:can we say....EPIC fail?
That sums it up perfectly. Exactly the words I would use.
I guess you could say pun intended....even tho EPIC didn't fail....it was something else on 3918
  by thebigc

I was on 6620 and found out we were going to Hoboken in the vicinity of Hudson tower. I love it how the Dover trains take it on the chin every time when something goes wrong on the high line.
  by sixty-six

thebigc wrote:I was on 6620 and found out we were going to Hoboken in the vicinity of Hudson tower. I love it how the Dover trains take it on the chin every time when something goes wrong on the high line.
Could you elaborate? Not being a jerk, just wondering what you mean by that :wink:
  by cruiser939

thebigc wrote:I was on 6620 and found out we were going to Hoboken in the vicinity of Hudson tower. I love it how the Dover trains take it on the chin every time when something goes wrong on the high line.
I think you're lucky that you can continue your ride to Hoboken instead of waiting close to an hour on the High Line.
  by JamesRR

I was on a NEC train scheduled to arrive in NY at 8:40am. The PA in our car must have been broken, because we had no announcements about the problem. I found out about it on my phone - and assumed it had to be more than 1 broken down train to cause that much trouble. Needless to say, we arrived 1 hour late into NY.

Today I heard the portal bridge got stuck open - NJT and Amtrak are really bad. I mean, there are more days with problems than without. All the money invested in trackwork, signal work, new equipment, and it seems to run as bad now as 10 years ago.