Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by ST214

Hi,

I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice.....on Saturday, May 23rd, i will be transferring from Amtrak train #6 to train #448. If #6 is on time, i will have like 6 hours...is there somewhere around where i can go to get pictures of METRA, either near CUS or a short train ride from there? I would like to use 3-4 hours of this layover to get some pics.

Thanks in advance for the help!
  by doepack

If 6 does arrive on time, you should have enough time to head down to the Roosevelt Rd. bridge, which is about a mile and a short cab ride south of the station. Also, the Canal St. crossing is about a 1/2 mile north of the station, and both locations have plenty of Amtrak & Metra action; Canal St. has the additional bonus of Metra traffic on the the leads to/from OTC, which run via a nearby overhead bridge. Both locations are safe, public viewing areas, so getting pics shouldn't be a problem. Have a safe trip, and enjoy your (brief) visit...
  by Tadman

If you have six hours, you can cover a lot of ground, especially if you don't mind a few taxi rides. My favorite spot in the city is the north throat tracks to CUS, where they cross Canal street. You can watch Union Station, Northwestern (Ogilvie) Station, and Elevated traffic. Other good spots include Roosevelt road, which spans approach tracks to CUS-South, LaSalle Street, and the Electric terminal under MIllenium Park. Since its the weekend, print up some timetables because Metra traffic is sparse on weekends. Don't bother going into LaSalle station, as the only thing there on weekends is the protect engine and maybe one train. There will be two trains each parked in the upper and lower concourse at Millenium Park. Northwestern and Union station are always a grab bag for action. Don't be a blatant railfan, but I take pics there some days.

If you get a locker, park your gear there. #6 and #448 both use the south concourse, so use a locker in that waiting room/hellhole. Walk through the station and onto the north concourse platforms, then up the steps to the street at the far north end of the platforms. It's a five minute walk to the Canal crossing. If you like airliners, stop at the Boeing store in Boeing HQ - it's on the way. After you've spent time there, either take a 20 minute walk or hail a cab, depending on your preference, to Canal/Roosevelt. If you're hungry, Manny's deli is right around the corner and makes amazing sandwiches. Cash only. Start to walk east, toward the lake. You will first cross the CUS yards, then the river, then the LaSalle approach, then under the L, then reach Metra/South Shore electrified trackage on the lakefront. It's a 10-15 minute walk, but stop for pics wherever you like. Nobody has ever hassled me on Roosevelt. Once you hit the electrified trackage, walk north or hop a ride on Metra to Millenium Park. They're railfan friendly in the upstairs (South Shore) concourse. Not so much in the downstairs (Metra Electric) concourse. After you are done there, walk or cab back to Union Station - 10-15 minute walk.

I walk this all the time but I don't know your preferences. Cabs are cheap and easy to find. You could also board a brown-line L train and ride around the loop, but you still have 5 minutes of walking - Union Station is across the river from Quincy L station.
  by ST214

Awesome....thanks! I will only have two bags, my suitcase(which will be in the baggage car....i assume they will transfer that automatically and i will not have to hold it in Chicago) and a backpack. Since my backpack will have my camera and gear, i will mostlikely just keep that on me. Is Roosevelt Rd. the bridge over the yard and station switch plant?
  by Tadman

If you look at this map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 9&t=h&z=16
Union Station yards are to the immediate left of the river. LaSalle approach is the double track to the left of clark/roosevelt, and the Electric lines are to the left of the Columbus/Roosevelt. You can board an electric train about 50yds north of the intersection for a ride downtown. It's two closely spaced stations - all other lines don't have stations that close together.

If you look at this map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 5&t=h&z=17
You can see the crossing at Canal where CUS-north approach tracks cross Canal. Northwestern station is visible bottom center. The tracks lead north out of NW Station on a viaduct and cross the CUS approach tracks. Lake street is covered by an elevated line. Don't ride west on this line, it gets sketchy.

You can view some of my pics of the North Approach here. I'll post more later.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60095718@N00/
  by ST214

NICE!!!! I see several spots worth checking out already! i need to print that map and take it with me!

If i were to go over to OTC(Northwestern), can you go out on the platforms and take pictures of the trains, or is this a no-no?
Tadman wrote:If you look at this map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 9&t=h&z=16
Union Station yards are to the immediate left of the river. LaSalle approach is the double track to the left of clark/roosevelt, and the Electric lines are to the left of the Columbus/Roosevelt. You can board an electric train about 50yds north of the intersection for a ride downtown. It's two closely spaced stations - all other lines don't have stations that close together.

If you look at this map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 5&t=h&z=17
You can see the crossing at Canal where CUS-north approach tracks cross Canal. Northwestern station is visible bottom center. The tracks lead north out of NW Station on a viaduct and cross the CUS approach tracks. Lake street is covered by an elevated line. Don't ride west on this line, it gets sketchy.

You can view some of my pics of the North Approach here. I'll post more later.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60095718@N00/
  by byte

Never tried it myself, but the UP cops who frequent the platforms there are NOT known to be friendly, and because it's UP's property it's "private property" and they do have the right to tell you to stop.
  by doepack

ST214 wrote:If i were to go over to OTC(Northwestern), can you go out on the platforms and take pictures of the trains, or is this a no-no?
Don't even think about it, at least not from the terminal. However, another place to get a good view of the trains heading into and out of OTC is from the Clinton station on Lake St., shared by CTA's Pink and Green line trains. Using Tadman's map linked above, Clinton is one block west of Canal (going away from the river), you can board at Clinton & Lake St., and be sure to follow the signage directing you to the south platform, which will be for trains to the Loop. (Note: before boarding, you'll have to fork over $2.25 for a transit card that you'll have to slip into a turnstile for station access). Once on the platform, walk to the far east end, and take all the pictures of Metra traffic here just below you to your heart's content. On weekends, the best time to be here is at :30 past the hour, there's usually two, or sometimes three departures out of OTC at this time of day within 5-10 minutes of each other, along with various lite power and equipment moves, which tend to be a bit more random. And since you've paid for a transit card, you may as well take a ride around the Loop via the Pink line, if time allows, just be sure to not miss your stop at Clinton when it comes back again! But as a reference, look for the Washington & Wells stop while riding, it'll be the last stop in the Loop before it heads back west...
  by ST214

So i can take pics on the CTA but not in the Commuter rail station???....That's so opposite of Boston! Here, don't dare take out a camera on the subway, but i've roamed the platforms at North and South stations without being bothered.....

A lot of what i do will depend on time....Wheras there's only one line with 2 sets running, i think i'm gonna skip Lasalle and the RI(was lucky enough to get a cab ride from Joliet to LaSalle last time i was in Chicago!). I might try the CTA thing if i can take pics without being thrown out of the station. It looks like the end of the platform is right next to the approach for OTC.

It also appears that the Electric district is a few blocks to the East...not sure if i'll get over there or not....

On a food note, is there still a Popeye's at OTC?
  by doepack

ST214 wrote:So i can take pics on the CTA but not in the Commuter rail station???....That's so opposite of Boston! Here, don't dare take out a camera on the subway, but i've roamed the platforms at North and South stations without being bothered
I can tell you from my own experiences that I've gotten Metra shots at OTC from Clinton St. without being hassled. However, I cannot promise you'll have the same experience, so with that in mind, it's best to be discreet when taking pictures here, and you'll not want to hang out there too long, because you may attract unwanted attention from the guards on duty or the police. Again, if you time it right like I described above, you'll definitely see trains, but otherwise, your best bet may be to simply get a couple of "grab" shots, and call it a day.
ST214 wrote:It also appears that the Electric district is a few blocks to the East...not sure if i'll get over there or not....

The Metra Electric Millenium Park terminal is located at Randolph & Michigan, you can get there via a quick trip east on the Green or Pink lines; you'd get off at Randolph & Wabash, 3 stops east from Clinton. However, getting pics from the terminal area could be tough due to the security presence, but perhaps the 11th St. pedestrian overpass could be an option. It's about a mile south of here, which also happens to be the entrance to the recently renovated (and renamed) Roosevelt Station. Theoretically, you could ride down from Randolph St. two stops to the newly named 'Museum Campus/11th St' station, get a few shots, then head back; service is frequent enough on this route on Saturdays to allow this without losing too much time, but have a schedule handy just in case should you decide on this option.
ST214 wrote:On a food note, is there still a Popeye's at OTC?
Yep, still there...
  by ST214

Gotcha about not hanging around by OTC...I definatly plan on heading there and the bridge over the yard outside of CUS....

I'll have to lookup and print out schedules for the electric district...

Popeye's at OTC is definatly on my list....There's not too many of them out here :(
doepack wrote:
ST214 wrote:So i can take pics on the CTA but not in the Commuter rail station???....That's so opposite of Boston! Here, don't dare take out a camera on the subway, but i've roamed the platforms at North and South stations without being bothered
I can tell you from my own experiences that I've gotten Metra shots at OTC from Clinton St. without being hassled. However, I cannot promise you'll have the same experience, so with that in mind, it's best to be discreet when taking pictures here, and you'll not want to hang out there too long, because you may attract unwanted attention from the guards on duty or the police. Again, if you time it right like I described above, you'll definitely see trains, but otherwise, your best bet may be to simply get a couple of "grab" shots, and call it a day.
ST214 wrote:It also appears that the Electric district is a few blocks to the East...not sure if i'll get over there or not....

The Metra Electric Millenium Park terminal is located at Randolph & Michigan, you can get there via a quick trip east on the Green or Pink lines; you'd get off at Randolph & Wabash, 3 stops east from Clinton. However, getting pics from the terminal area could be tough due to the security presence, but perhaps the 11th St. pedestrian overpass could be an option. It's about a mile south of here, which also happens to be the entrance to the recently renovated (and renamed) Roosevelt Station. Theoretically, you could ride down from Randolph St. two stops to the newly named 'Museum Campus/11th St' station, get a few shots, then head back; service is frequent enough on this route on Saturdays to allow this without losing too much time, but have a schedule handy just in case should you decide on this option.
ST214 wrote:On a food note, is there still a Popeye's at OTC?
Yep, still there...
  by Tadman

I love popeyes. There is a few downtown in the loop if not at OTC. With regard to taking pics at Millenium Electric Terminal - Yes upstairs (South Shore Line); Not long downstairs (Metra). You'll start to get dirty looks after ten minutes and car-men following you around. Take a few and go upstairs to the South Shore concourse. The NICTD/South Shore police chief is a railfan and you can take pics all day. Further, the South Shore is a very people- and railfan-friendly railroad in general, just remember not to push your luck. You may even enjoy a ride out to Hegewisch. Trains leave on the even hours and meet at Hegewisch, and the inboud will drop you off [5-10 late] on the odd hour. It's your chance to ride the last interurban in America.
  by ST214

Thanks!! Hope i have tome to make it over there!
Tadman wrote:I love popeyes. There is a few downtown in the loop if not at OTC. With regard to taking pics at Millenium Electric Terminal - Yes upstairs (South Shore Line); Not long downstairs (Metra). You'll start to get dirty looks after ten minutes and car-men following you around. Take a few and go upstairs to the South Shore concourse. The NICTD/South Shore police chief is a railfan and you can take pics all day. Further, the South Shore is a very people- and railfan-friendly railroad in general, just remember not to push your luck. You may even enjoy a ride out to Hegewisch. Trains leave on the even hours and meet at Hegewisch, and the inboud will drop you off [5-10 late] on the odd hour. It's your chance to ride the last interurban in America.