• Money train

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by jerryinva

Just noticed last night...that the money train has the old door chimes...in fact...they sound different than Sandy Carroll...
  by Mirai Zikasu

I think it might have been John who said that the cars haven't had any changes since the 8000 cars became the money train in the mid to late 80s and that they have maps of similar vintage.
With that said, I don't think I've ever heard the pre-Sandy Carroll chimes, and if I did when I last saw one of the money train pairs three years ago, I didn't recognize them.

On a related note, I was in Gordon Biersch brewpub downtown last night, and I got a chuckle in overhearing two guys talk about how the money train showed up when they were waiting on the platform and how the armed guards gave them a good spook as they were too close to where the train stopped.
  by jerryinva

It may have been the Sandy Carroll chimes...but the tones sounded a tad higher pitched...

It was on the opposite side of the Metro Center platform from me...what caught my ear was the noise from the big metal cases...what caught my eye then, was the fact that there were only two cars on the platform...the rest trailed off the platform...
  by Sand Box John

jerryinva
It may have been the Sandy Carroll chimes...but the tones sounded a tad higher pitched...

It was on the opposite side of the Metro Center platform from me...what caught my ear was the noise from the big metal cases...what caught my eye then, was the fact that there were only two cars on the platform...the rest trailed off the platform...

I have never mentioned in the past where the revenue carts were stored in the stations for security reasons and because the question never specifically came up.

The reason why the cars were off the platform is because the revenue carts are stored in the locked cabinets off the ends of the platforms adjacent to or under the fire equipment cabinets in the station built prior to the late 1980s, later station store the revenue carts in locked rooms off the ends of the platforms.

There are gates in the safety railing along the tunnel walkway to allow the carts to be rolled off or on the train directly into the revenue collection cabinets/rooms.

You can see the revenue collection cabinets under the fire equipment cabinets at the in the Cheverly station in these Microsoft Live Search Maps birds eye view pictures, outbound platform and inbound platform
  by jerryinva

I noticed they had nifty metal ramps to lay cross the gap between the platform edge, and the floor of the car...
  by Sand Box John

"jerryinva"
I noticed they had nifty metal ramps to lay cross the gap between the platform edge, and the floor of the car...

Standard accessory aboard the money train. The wheels under the revenue carts are a little bigger then the wheels on shopping cart.
  by WMATAGMOAGH

IIRC, the original Rohr door chime is pretty much identical to the two tone chime on the R44 and R46 cars in New York City.
  by Sand Box John

"WMATAGMOAGH"
IIRC, the original Rohr door chime is pretty much identical to the two tone chime on the R44 and R46 cars in New York City.

You recall would be correct. I noticed the same thing when I got my first ride aboard the cars back in 1975 before phase I opened.