Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Tadman

I believe the FRA frowns on power-bus connections between MU's if they aren't permanently coupled.

And JB is right, the South Bend ridership lately is unreal. I arrived tonight at 7:20, and there was probably 100 people waiting to board the westbound. I've never seen off-peak South Bend loads like this before 1-2 years ago. I think the gas price spike we had over the last few years made people change their mind about train travel from SB. Hopefully some day the street running in MC and the quasi-street running in SB can be avoided or mitigated, as those legs of the trip really add the minutes.
  by buddah

JamesT4 wrote:
buddah wrote:Gary metro center also a high platform station. so thats 5. and for NICTD those are the most important for mainly those ones are where handicap accessibility are the most influenced. the new double decker's as I've been told will not run any further east than Michigan city due to height restrictions.

Gary Metro does not have a High Level Platform, it only has a center low level platform. It will probably have a high level platform if the new gateway station gets built.
Ya your right Im thinking of Hammond , I always get those two mixed up.. I haven't traveled the NICTD in over 3 years. I hope they do turn Gary into a high platform station soon. why would they skip Gary and do dunes park first?

PS: thanks for the welcome Tadman, however I like the street running in Michigan city. Its the only place in the Midwest where we still do it as far as I know.
  by superbad

to my knowlegde, dune park is next on the list, UNLESS, the new station is built in gary.. The existing station would be demolished completely and a new one will be built, but its not an NICTD project its a private developer that wants to build the new gary station. And in my opinion, dune park has much high ridership than Gary.
  by jb9152

buddah wrote: Ya your right Im thinking of Hammond , I always get those two mixed up.. I haven't traveled the NICTD in over 3 years. I hope they do turn Gary into a high platform station soon. why would they skip Gary and do dunes park first?
Because the ridership is higher there, and high level platforms would shave more dwell time at Dune Park than they would at Gary Metro.
  by buddah

OK thanks for the info JP and s.bad... I haven't been on the Southshore in a while I had no idea the ridership at dune was that high now, Does anybody have the stats on the Southshores stations ridership? Also you say the Gary station is going to be rebuilt by a private organization, any clue if there going to ad parking specifically for the stations use only? I believe thats what hampers the Gary stations ridership.
  by neroden

Actually, Gary Metro Center, Ogden Dunes, Dune Park, and Carroll Avenue all have small high-level platforms for handicapped access.

They don't have *full length* high level platforms.
  by buddah

neroden wrote:Actually, Gary Metro Center, Ogden Dunes, Dune Park, and Carroll Avenue all have small high-level platforms for handicapped access.

Please define what you mean as not full length high level platform, do you mean that there high level but cant accommodate a full 8 car NICTD train? or there half level height platforms? for the Record Gary metro is still a low level platform but the East Chicago ( second Hammond stop) is a high level platform now... you can even see this if you use google map and do a streetview you can actually be traveling on the Indiana toll road and see both stations visibly from there and there differences in platform height relative to the rails.
  by JamesT4

buddah wrote:
neroden wrote:Actually, Gary Metro Center, Ogden Dunes, Dune Park, and Carroll Avenue all have small high-level platforms for handicapped access.

Please define what you mean as not full length high level platform, do you mean that there high level but cant accommodate a full 8 car NICTD train? or there half level height platforms? for the Record Gary metro is still a low level platform but the East Chicago ( second Hammond stop) is a high level platform now... you can even see this if you use google map and do a streetview you can actually be traveling on the Indiana toll road and see both stations visibly from there and there differences in platform height relative to the rails.

There are several mini high level platforms throughout the low level stations (execpt Gary Metro, and Clark Rd.(I think)) that is used for passengers with wheelchiars, and for disable people who can not walk up the stairs., and there are portable platforms that will lower from the platform to the doors so that passengers will get on the train door level instead of walking up the stairs.

On the SS, I know at Odgen Dunes you have to press a button, and that a light will flash on that mini HL platform fot the engineer to stop the middle doors next to that mini HL, and the conductor will lower the platform for the wheelchair passenger to board, and then will rasie the platform back up.

Also the last time I boarded at Gary, there are no mini HL platform, they have to use a portable wheelchair lift, because it is on a bridge, also there is no room for a mini HL platform at Gary Metro, and it is next to the Indiana Toll Road..
  by buddah

I figured after ward that what he might have meant the "mini high platforms" but I was not sure as his statement was not fully written out. Yes mini high platforms are a good advantage to lines such as the NICTD. eliminates the building of an entirely new station. Wit reguards to helping them comply with ADA requirements.
  by superbad

ogden dunes is the only station with the mini-high platforms. all the others have portable crank lifts.