Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by metra104

I Know This is onna get off-topic, but Does Anyone Have Any Pics Of The Metra Logo on a locomotive or train car between 1984-1985? if so i would love to see the pics
  by doepack

Could you be a little more specific? How is the Metra logo from that time different from the one we see today?
  by Tadman

To my knowledge, that was the beginning of the current era with respect to F40PH painting. In other words, the paint jobs were the same then and now. Before that was the light-blue RTA scheme. There's one hybrid that I know of - a former CNW F-unit, painted in the Metra deep blue and red, but with RTA lettering. I've only seen one pic and cannot seem to find it today.
  by SlowFreight

IIRC, the units were also tagged with "Metropolitan Rail" underneath the Metra logo because management didn't believe that folks would initially connect the brand with commuter rail. This was dropped before 1990, I believe. First unit I saw photos of was Kane County in a 1985 Trains mag. I never saw any repainted units on C&NW lines until the late 80's, so I think you'll need to look to RI/MILW/ICG/N&W territory for the older Metra pics.