• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Chessie GM50

DutchRailnut wrote:NJT does not use Amtrak P42's, NJT only uses 3 former Amtrak P40's painted in NJT colors.
Let me clarify. I was riding an NJT train, and I saw a P42, in Amtrak colors, parked in Penn Station. Gee, I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid...
  by Kaback9

This was almost a week ago but if its P42 #53 then we might be talking about the same loco.
  by Chessie GM50

Kaback9 wrote:This was almost a week ago but if its P42 #53 then we might be talking about the same loco.
I did not get the number when my train passed. Though, I could tell you, that I saw it on December 29th.
  by Kaback9

The Cascades paint has been showing up alot in recent months on Chicago based trains, what going on?

Chessie the P42 on my train was on Jan 6th so I don't think were talking about the same engine.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Conductor, in the photo of 90230, the same unit I noted in my earlier reported observation of 381(03), that unit must be on the rear.

First, if the train were outbound from CUS, the Amtrak facility would not be visible; rather the BNSF/METRA facility at "Zephyr Pit" would be. Secondly, the Red markers are lit.
  by TheTroll

DutchRailnut wrote:NJT does not use Amtrak P42's, NJT only uses 3 former Amtrak P40's painted in NJT colors.
NJT has 4 P40's. No.'s 4800-4803.
  by mrconductor55

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Conductor, in the photo of 90230, the same unit I noted in my earlier reported observation of 381(03), that unit must be on the rear.

First, if the train were outbound from CUS, the Amtrak facility would not be visible; rather the BNSF/METRA facility at "Zephyr Pit" would be. Secondly, the Red markers are lit.
Yeah its being pulled backwards by a p42
  by railaw

67, pulled by 653, broke down in OSB this morning on its way to BOS. The passengers were being transferred to an acela at around 8:20 this morning. 67 had an extra cafe car (I presume) in front of the baggage car. But what makes the event interesting are twofold. First, the SLE protect set which stays on a siding just a little west of OSB was backed up and connected to 67, which was on track 3, presumably to tow 67 back to NHV. So it was going west to east it was a GP 35, 4 SLE cars, 3 or 4 amfleets, cafe car, baggage car, cafe car, 653. I haven't seen it come through NHV yet, if that is indeed the plan. Secondly, although I wasn't on 67 and was only at the station for a short period of time, the crew and station agent (Merrill) appeared to have been trying hard to make the situation as tolerable as possible for the passengers. There was free coffee and doughnuts in the station, and the passengers were free to come into the station and walk around if they chose, rather than being stuck on the train, though I suspect all any of them wanted to to was sleep. By the way, I was a little nervous when I saw 652 on 95, considering yesterday's problems with 656 and the evident problems with 653 (not that I know that it was an engine problem), but it worked out fine, at least for my leg of the journey.
  by jwhite07

If it was headed to Boston in the morning, it would have been Train #66, not 67.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Interesting to note, Mr. Vogel, that at least one of the "Army Cars" lives on.

These Hospital cars, built for the US Army during 1952, were acquired by Amtrak during their "Heritage" equipment purchases during 1972. They were converted into either Dorm cars or Lounges. The Lounges held assignments on both the Broadway Limited and on the Montrealer.
  by Tadman

GBN, weren't those Army cars modernized by Monon for streamlined passenger service in the late 1940's? I'm pretty sure Monon never bought any new lightweight cars, and what appeared to be lightweights were all really Army cars one 6-wheel trucks. The Monon is one of my favorite fallen flags. I'd also be interested to learn if that CSX car seen on the Silver train was Monon-L&N-Seaboard-CSX or some other more circuitous route. Monon got out of the passenger business before A-day and I've no idea what the road did with passenger rolling stock.
  by Gilbert B Norman

The Monon cars acquired by JWB were WWII vintage; those acquired by Amtrak were of Korean War.

But the Monon lives on, especially the case when driving on US421 Lafayette-Michigan City. There is even Monon signage in and about the Broad Ripple area of Indianapolis.