• Garfield/Plauderville schedule to HOB/SEC

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Bobby S

I just have to say as I look at my options to leave tonight to head that direction I should have left at 3:45PM. That is the last train through that stops in a city with TWO STOPS and the 3rd largest pop. in Bergen County. (correct me if I am wrong)
This has been the last time eastbound for as long as I could remember! We have a new lot at Plauderville! Very nice w future platform room to boot! What do we need to do to at least have ONE train stop at either station??? I am sure many would take it as the last one stops before before any of us even start to leave for home!!! Input please!
  by R36 Combine Coach

I noticed that, but the emphasis on the Bergen line is always at the two "major" stations-Rutherford and Radburn, along with Glen Rock Boro Hall. They should have at least 2-3 later inbound evening trips. Garfield has the #161 bus direct service into Manhattan.
  by ericware2009

It also has something to do with Port Jervis Express trains, as they usually run against traffic, so they need to run express. There is only two crossovers, near Broadway Station just near where it crosses the Garden State Parkway and rutherford if the trains stop it would disrupt the schedule and cause delays its nearly impossible. I was told this by the NJT scheduling department.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Sometimes the Metro-North expresses do run via Main Line.
  by Bobby S

If that is the reason then maybe another crossover is in order. This would DEF make an impact regarding passenger #'s in Garfield as a crossover could cost only how much??? I am afraid to ask but NJT needs to look at the WHOLE PIC!!! unless they have done so already. Plenty of room in Elmwood Park/Saddle Brook!
  by ExCon90

Bobby S wrote:If that is the reason then maybe another crossover is in order. This would DEF make an impact regarding passenger #'s in Garfield as a crossover could cost only how much??? I am afraid to ask but NJT needs to look at the WHOLE PIC!!! unless they have done so already. Plenty of room in Elmwood Park/Saddle Brook!
About 20 years ago I believe a ballpark cost for an interlocked crossover was in the mid-six figures--I hate to think what it is now. At that price anything has to take its place in the queue to compete with other projects all needing money.

ExCon90
  by Port Jervis

R36 Combine Coach wrote:I noticed that, but the emphasis on the Bergen line is always at the two "major" stations-Rutherford and Radburn, along with Glen Rock Boro Hall. They should have at least 2-3 later inbound evening trips. Garfield has the #161 bus direct service into Manhattan.
Also, if you look carefully at the schedule you'd see how many Port Jervis runs cover the BCL, at least in part. Plauderville and Garfield are also in pathetic condition.

Also, does Glen Rock really need both stations? Anyone knoe which one gets used more? You'd think Boro Hall, because it's so much nicer.
  by Bobby S

I think Glen Rock has great positioning for both stations on two distinct lines.... But Garfield DEF needs at least ONE LATER STOP inbound!!!
  by R36 Combine Coach

Port Jervis wrote:Also, does Glen Rock really need both stations? Anyone knoe which one gets used more? You'd think Boro Hall, because it's so much nicer.
Boro Hall seems to be the "de facto" Glen Rock station. On weekday evenings, I noticed most commuter traffic in the borough gets off here. The Main Line station is much quieter. Boro Hall also has the local jitney shuttle.