Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Tadman

Per South Bend Trib:

http://www.sbtinfo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /901120255

Fatal accident at the grade crossing along the ideal section between Ogden Dunes and the CSX(B&O) bridge at Miller. It appears the motorist went around active and lowered gates and got a taste of stainless steel. It would also appear the motorist is at fault. I think you'll agree our thoughts on this forum go to the train crew that must cope with this tragedy.
  by jb9152

Thanks for the kind words, Tad. Our thoughts are also with the young man's family.
  by ohioriverrailway

That's a shame. If people would only stop and think what they're doing. . . . . No body wins in a situation like that.
  by buddah

Thanks for the link to the story Tadman. Sorry to hear the driver did not survive, but glad to see that no one on the train was seriously injured. I hope with this new administration coming in that there will be some funding for The Southshore to invest in a "sealed corridor program" for there grade crossings. It seems to be working wonders down in N.Carolina. Since the SSL is running EMU's they can argue the fact that there more at risk of passenger and engineer injuries than NCDOT.
Humm.... that should be a new Topic. NICTD in need of a sealed corridor?

However as one wise man once told me.... " You will never have an IDIOT proof invention, for the word will keep cranking out better IDIOTS!"
  by Tadman

I'm more of the mind that a $2000 fine / night in jail / loss of CDL will start preventing motorists from going around lowered gates. That's a hefty penalty for anybody => better deterrent. It's an especially interesting answer because the South Shore has so many grade crossings where Conrail or another line parallels the ROW and two sets of gates must lower. Motorists think they have the situation figured out and go around one set because "that extra 20' will get me home faster", especially when we are talking about remote neighborhoods north of the tracks in Ogden Dunes or the area.
  by buddah

Tadman I agree higher fines and penalties are a good deterrent but not as effective as visual barriers. Think about it people get busted for speeding every day they raise fines and even give jail time, and impound cars in most states for speeds over 90 mph. and its been a proven fact the cops catch the same people doing the same thing all over again. and seriously don't tell me u do speed limit all the time? Im sure U just like me every so often goes along with the flow of traffic weather it be 5 or 10 over the post. unfortunately we have a car hungry society that feels there car is there power over everything ( truckers are worst) and won't respect the rule of common seance " Don't screw with anything bigger than you!"

SO I would purpose both of our ideas, initiate a sealed corridor plan and if its proven that driver went out of his/her way to circumnavigate around it. hit them with fines and penalties that will boggle there mind when caught. For truckers automatic suspension/revocation of there CDL. and a $5000 min. fine. for average drivers. get caught: first time 1-2k fine and suspension of your DL for 6 months. Second time or if you cause an accident at the crossing 2-5k fine, be open for suing from the railroad company & revocation of your drivers lisence

Edit: Have a national campaign going and call it... "RUN AROUND IT, AND YOU WILL REGRET IT!"

Edit2: now 2 passenger train accidents in 1 day, in the Chicagoland area this has got to be a record...
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009 ... lines.html
  by F40CFan

At the risk of sounding cold, people are always going to find a way to get hit by a train.

I was on the last MILW westbound scoot to go through the Grand Avenue grade crossing in Elmwood Park before the idiots stopped on the tracks and got nailed by the next train. Their excuse; "we do it all the time and never got hit before." These are malfunctioning carbon-units.

I was also on an inbound MILW west scoot that hit a 16-year old girl at Hanson Park. She and her girlfriend got through a fence, and crossed the tracks. I was in the vestibule and could feel "something" bouncing under the train. I saw the look on the engineers face and the conductor's face who had to walk back and verify what happened. You don't want to see it.

The other day, I was waiting for the crossing gates on Irving Park at Wood Dale Road. There are signs clearly stating that crossing the tracks before the gates are completely up is a photo violation. As soon as the gates were up far enough for them to fit, at least three cars took off and got their pictures taken. Hello!

Not a day goes by that some fool doesn't run in front of the train at Franklin Park, right in front of the police station. Nothing is done. Gee, do you think a police officer might occationally stand there and tell the idiots that is not a good idea.

I've mentioned to people who cross the tracks in front of an approaching train that its not a good idea. I get looks like I have an arm growing out of my forehead.

If officials are so concerned, why don't they make periodic and random sweeps of stations and grade crossings to warn and/or ticket offenders? They are reactive, not proacitve. That has to change.

My point is, no matter how hard they try, there is no way to make railroad rights of way idiot proof. Enforcement against those lucky enough to survive their stupidity is unfortunately the only defensive weapon.

I think they should do something like they do with DUI convicts; have the offenders face a board of train crew involved with accidents and families of those who have lost loved ones to railroad tresspassing accidents. Maybe they can be shamed out of being stupid.

Sorry, I'll hop down off my soap box now.
  by dinwitty

the accident happened a couple of days ago, I almost posted about but didn't. It's like Toronto has so many suiciders jumping in front of streetcars that they never report it in the news anymore.

make a rap campaign...

"pass da gates, meet da gates. do woppa bop"

The Amtrak in chicago was a simple slow speed derailment maybe on a turnout. Once the rush hour trains get thru they will disconnect the good train from the derailed car(s), reconnect them, maybe add cars to meet needs if they have them, and their on their way and clean it up later.
The track may be out of service for a while tho, so thats a crimp in the workings for a bit...