• Proposed Reduced MARC service

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by gprimr1

Operating Costs yeah, It's been 2 years since I worked there.
  by realtype

Looks like someone (successfully) is fighting to keep at least one MARC train alive:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/ ... 0755.story

This late train, and train 871 (the midday Brunswick) trains are the most ridiculous cuts in the MTA's proposal. I hope more persons step up, so we can get the MTA to use common sense like when they wanted to close four MARC stations, but received a large amount of protests.
  by CHIP72

realtype wrote:Looks like someone (successfully) is fighting to keep at least one MARC train alive:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/ ... 0755.story

This late train, and train 871 (the midday Brunswick) trains are the most ridiculous cuts in the MTA's proposal. I hope more persons step up, so we can get the MTA to use common sense like when they wanted to close four MARC stations, but received a large amount of protests.
The guy who was quoted in that newspaper article works in the same office I do. I can tell you he a frequent transit user/advocate who often voices agitation with the MTA (not just the proposed MARC cutbacks but also the short trains on the light rail when big events are held at M&T Bank Stadium or OPACY).

The ideas expressed in that article are right on point - the late night MARC trains may not have as high of ridership, but they have a decent number of occasional riders. No late night trains make it difficult not only for Baltimore residents who work in DC, but also Baltimore residents who want to make a day trip to DC and stay fairly late.

One final point - even though it's not rail, it is absolutely idiotic that the state of Maryland relocated the Greyhound station from downtown to nearly a mile south of M&T Bank Stadium not near a light rail stop back in 2004. I know there was opposition to relocating it up near Penn Station, but they should have found a way to move it near Penn Station or keep it in the general area where it was located (near Lexington Market, which is an excellent location transportation-wise). Between the lousy Greyhound station location and the lack of MARC weekend service, I'm much less inclined to go to Baltimore for day trips from Silver Spring than I would be otherwise. (The non-convenient routing for the light rail north of downtown that is too far from most neighborhoods I'd like to check out also is a factor, but that's another story.)
  by Kaback9

Between the lousy Greyhound station location and the lack of MARC weekend service, I'm much less inclined to go to Baltimore for day trips from Silver Spring than I would be otherwise.

Forget about going to Baltimore what about people who would like to spend a Saturday in DC and don't want to take Amtrak or drive.

I don't understand how MARC could cut the "late night train" that really would make me less likely to spend even a weekday in Baltimore or DC while staying in one of those cities. One of the things I hated about Septa was the lack of late night trains that has changed and now I feel better about taking a trip to Philly for the day or going to an event there that ends late.
  by realtype

Looks like some more official opposition to the riidiculous MTA's cuts: Representatives from two West Virginia counties and state senator elect Herb Snyder (D), met with the MTA to propose a $2 fare increase for WV trips, on top of an already high $10 fare.

See: http://www.wtop.com/?nid=30&sid=1553231

The MTA was proposing terminating 883 (the last evening Brunswick Line train dep. 7:15pm) in Brunswick instead of in Martinsburg. I think WV ridership is pretty heavy as the longest trains on the Brunswick line--a 6-car gallery train, and a 5-car Sumitomo/Kawasaki train--both terminate/originate in WV. It is definitely saying something when relatively conservative WV proposes a fare increase (something the entire system needs), while the super liberal MD officials, would rather cut service than do the same.
  by HokieNav

The verdict is in!

I got an email containing the following link that explains the cuts that are effective 12 January:

http://www.mtamaryland.com/Commuter_MARC_Hearings.cfm

Changes include the above mentioned fare increase for WV riders, elimination of one of the two late night Penn Line trains, changes to two Brunswick line trains, and the elimination of the ten trip ticket.

Still no work on a fare increase that would be welcomed in return for increased (well, less decreased) service.
  by davinp

HokieNav wrote:The verdict is in!

I got an email containing the following link that explains the cuts that are effective 12 January:

Changes include the above mentioned fare increase for WV riders, elimination of one of the two late night Penn Line trains, changes to two Brunswick line trains, and the elimination of the ten trip ticket.

Still no work on a fare increase that would be welcomed in return for increased (well, less decreased) service.
NBC4 had reported this on it's 4PM news today.
The 10-trip is popular on VRE. VRE even has a 5-day pass, something MARC doesn't have
VRE canceled it's holiday service back in 2006, now MARC has copied them.
  by HokieNav

davinp wrote: The 10-trip is popular on VRE. VRE even has a 5-day pass, something MARC doesn't have
Yes, they do.
  by realtype

HokieNav wrote:The verdict is in!

I honestly can't believe they're cutting the 1:45pm everyday except Fri. That's the dumbest move I've seen the MTA pull. I don't know what type of "deal" the WV officials worked out, but adding $80 to a monthly ticket for just the three station extension for one train a day definitely doesn't seem like a good idea. The only proposals the MTA modified were the ones that were protested in the publicly (the WV train, and late Penn train). The extremely popular 10-trip ticket is still getting axed.

I don't know the MTA doesn't simply raise fares (moderately). I'm paying the same price for my ticket as I did 4 years ago.
davinp wrote: The 10-trip is popular on VRE. VRE even has a 5-day pass, something MARC doesn't have
VRE canceled it's holiday service back in 2006, now MARC has copied them.
Looks like someones on the VRE payroll... :-)