• Power Outlets

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by cpontani

Is there any provision to add power outlets at some of the seats in the new Silverliner V? You see people plugging into the lone outlets in the current cars all the time. Just a thought...
  by Patrick Boylan

and I would head for the vacuum cleaner's outlet on Amfleet in the 1980's to run my contact lense heat disinfecor.
  by Matthew Mitchell

cpontani wrote:Is there any provision to add power outlets at some of the seats in the new Silverliner V?
No. And I'm doubtful about whether there are provisions to add them at some time in the future. Regrettably, these are bare bones cars, designed in an era when management was openly hostile to the passengers. We'll try again when it's time to replace the Silverliner IVs.
  by cpontani

I can understand why they're a nice convenience on Amtrak, but for the average daily commuter (who is the bread-and-butter rider here), you should be able to charge up your phone/laptop/ipod/etc. long enough for your hour-long ride home.
  by theWatusi

I've seen a woman (hooker?) use the outlet on an SIV to power her curling iron. :-)
  by khecht

I've never used them, but is the AC current coming out of them reliable enough for general use? I've used them many a time on Amtrak, but they're advertised to work - SEPTA doesn't, and I don't think would be too interested if some consumer electronic product got a tad fried one day from some electrical spike.
  by Patrick Boylan

cpontani wrote:I can understand why they're a nice convenience on Amtrak, but for the average daily commuter (who is the bread-and-butter rider here), you should be able to charge up your phone/laptop/ipod/etc. long enough for your hour-long ride home.
Also didn't AMTRAK start retrofitting Amfleet more than 10 years ago, when I assume laptops drained their batteries faster than they do now?
  by ex Budd man

khecht wrote:I've never used them, but is the AC current coming out of them reliable enough for general use? I've used them many a time on Amtrak, but they're advertised to work - SEPTA doesn't, and I don't think would be too interested if some consumer electronic product got a tad fried one day from some electrical spike.
The II's and III's have 48 Hz alternators, I don't know how this would affect todays electronic devices. The IV's have a 60Hz alternator which is compatible with electrical/electronic devices used in the US. "User beware", I've seen work lights, drills and other power tools plugged in to a Budd or Louie by mechanics, but never a laptop.
  by redarrow5591

I use them all the time with both of the laptops I own (a POS IBM/Lenovo R51 and a Rebuilt Compaq Evo N600C) with my phone charger and I never had any problems. Hell I occasionally charge my phone on the MFSE once in a while!!!!
  by nomis

Most Electronics (specifically their transformers) can operate through 50Hz and 60Hz range. 48Hz may not be the best thing to be supplying power, but is tolerable for transformers as long as it is constant. Just be sure to make sure the power supply brick has adequate cooling.
  by limejuice

I've been able to plug in my cell phone and laptop to 100Hz signal power without any problems for relatively short periods of time. I noticed the transformers seem to get noticeably warmer, but the output seems to be fine.
  by Patrick Boylan

The warmer they are, the sooner they die. Or make components around them die.
I'm sure George Burns never noticed any ill effects from cigars for the first 85 years he smoked.
  by ChemiosMurphy

I used a Macbook Pro plugged into an outlet on a SIV and an NJT Comet V without a problem.