Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

They can't keep them running when its 70 degrees and sunny, without having 15% of fleet in shop. so what do you expect if frost or snow starts.

by Nasadowsk

Out of curiosity, what dies on them, or it is just at this point they're so shot that EVERYTHING going bad?

by Swedish Meatball

My understanding is that when there is fine snow it gets sucked into the intakes and fouls up the electrical systems. They have been putting diapers on the couplers during snow storms to prevent some of the problems. Dutch would no better and could answer the question better.

by ctaman34

i wonder what will happen to the M7a's this winter????????????

by Swedish Meatball

LIRR had the M-7's last winter. I had not heard of any problems that were weather related.

by DutchRailnut

it will be a test, the snow in Westchester and putnam is a lot finer and dryer than on Island, the temperature here is a bit nippier than on the Island too.

by Nasadowsk

Does MN have any estimate on what the average mileage of an M-2 car is? I suspect they've got at least a million or so on them already...

by DutchRailnut

probably a bit more, a M2 runs at least 500 miles a day x 300 days or so x 35 years = about 5.25 million miles