• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Mirai Zikasu

hi55us wrote:I didn't think that you could have 3 cabs in the consist, since you would not be able to pass through the front end of the cab?
It's possible. The vestibules on the front end of the cab cars have a door and diaphragm just like any given Amfleet.
  by Tadman

I don't know about the cabs after their recent rebuild. However, 15 years ago when the metro cabs were just plain depowered metroliners running on Detroit trains, there would be 3 or 4 depowered metroliners in one train between the F40 and the cab car. Further, Metra trains usually have 2-3 cabs in the consist as well as older cabs that are no longer used as cabs. Maybe I'm wrong but this tells me it's likely the cabs can be placed anywhere in the train.
  by JimBoylan

hi55us wrote:I didn't think that you could have 3 cabs in the consist, since you would not be able to pass through the front end of the cab?
I think that the Conference Car 9800 is the only Metroliner rebuilt that way. All others have diaphrams, originally hidden when in storage position on the cab end.
  by scotty269

Tadman wrote:I don't know about the cabs after their recent rebuild. However, 15 years ago when the metro cabs were just plain depowered metroliners running on Detroit trains, there would be 3 or 4 depowered metroliners in one train between the F40 and the cab car. Further, Metra trains usually have 2-3 cabs in the consist as well as older cabs that are no longer used as cabs. Maybe I'm wrong but this tells me it's likely the cabs can be placed anywhere in the train.
SEPTA's locomotive-hauled trains do use cab cars as normal coaches in the middle of the train. I don't see why you couldn't use cabs anywhere in the consist.
  by chuchubob

And here's a close-up of 9636 after leading train 641 from Philly to Harrisburg on Dec 5.
  by chefwrg

Sunday, I saw the north bound Silver Star out of Richmond, Va with what appeared to be three CSX office cars on the tail end. Anyone know where they were going?
  by realtype

chefwrg wrote:Sunday, I saw the north bound Silver Star out of Richmond, Va with what appeared to be three CSX office cars on the tail end. Anyone know where they were going?
Yep, Union Station. This morning all three are lined up on track 8 (where private cars are usually placed) with all sort of Christmas decorations adorning them. The railroads (right across on trk 7 is a private NS car) always seem to have private functions at WAS every month or so. They seem to be pretty high-end black tie events with expensive catering etc. They even roll out a red carpet to the vestibule. Of course Track 8 (which is low level) is used for MARC trains, specifically MARC's two gallery car set, but what does Amtrak care, CSX is probably paying way more for the track usage.
  by realtype

This week I saw another CSX marked car on trk 16 at Union Station. It was an emptied out Comet car named "[Something] Eagle" and had temporary chairs inside. It had a seal on the sides that said something like "Firefighter Safety Car." Does anybody know what this car is for, and what it's doing at Union Station?
  by railrob

The ex NJT Comet 1 car belongs to the Firefighters Education and Training Foundation which had 42 cars used to train public safety personnel to interact safety with the RRs. MCVX 794 was dedicated as the "Patriot Eagle" in a ceremony Thursday morning. It is a classroom car
and is self contained with a 40K 480 volt generator.
The CSX and NS biz cars were used for the annual holiday party Wednesday and Thursday night and for a luncheon after the dedication.
NS had the diner Kentucky which was fresh out of a rebuild. Drop dead gorgeous car inside and out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Murjax

I just took a trip on NEC from Washington on Saturday and noticed at least three of CDOT's Constitution Liners. Are these the same cars that were taken to New Orleans earlier in the year and if so, what are they doing back in the northeast? Are they being returned to CT?
  by Kaback9

Someone photographed them in Penn Station heading back to CT, but yes they are the cars that were in NO.
  by GP40MC 1116

I got a e-mail last night about a Horizon coach being in Boston's Southampton Street yard. It was coupled up to one of the Downeaster Cab cars. I don't recall seeing one of these in Boston ever in my memory. I am sure they've been here, but I don't remember the last time. I presume they came in on the Lake Shore Limited from Chicago.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

GP40MC 1116 wrote:I got a e-mail last night about a Horizon coach being in Boston's Southampton Street yard. It was coupled up to one of the Downeaster Cab cars. I don't recall seeing one of these in Boston ever in my memory. I am sure they've been here, but I don't remember the last time. I presume they came in on the Lake Shore Limited from Chicago.
Yes, It came in on Tuesday night's Lake Shore Limited P448. It was spotted in Worcester, MA
  by Gilbert B Norman

NPCU 90220 in Cascade livery, is in consist trailing #381(03).

The Carl Sandburg passed 18.32, the Coffee House with a view, "more or less" on time.