• finally, an NJT app for iphone

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by geoffand

Yeah, this app really needs some serious help. It is nice to have handy but it is seriously lacking in many ways. Yesterday my train was cancelled, which it showed in the alerts. However, it didn't show that the next train was 20 minutes late which the NJT website displayed correctly.

Better connection interface would be swell, as would a station to station option. The iphone's rotary menu would work really well for something like that. There could be different tabs on the bottom... a map feature, a station by station feature, alerts, destination board for the track you are standing on... Ok, maybe my expectations are too high with the last one.
  by sullivan1985

geoffand wrote:destination board for the track you are standing on... Ok, maybe my expectations are too high with the last one.
But when your at Summit, the screen turns green with a big red clock on it and that's it.
  by geoffand

sullivan1985 wrote:
geoffand wrote:destination board for the track you are standing on... Ok, maybe my expectations are too high with the last one.
But when your at Summit, the screen turns green with a big red clock on it and that's it.
Don't forget...

"Thank you for riding NJT. Have a nice day!" scrolling along the bottom.
  by Taborite

geoffand wrote:
sullivan1985 wrote:
Don't forget...

"Thank you for riding NJT. Have a nice day!" scrolling along the bottom.
Reportedly the screens inside the building were working for a couple of days last week before returning to their advanced state of non-functionality. The ones at platform level have been turned off for a week or so in what must be a sudden outbreak of common sense on NJT's part.
  by sullivan1985

Taborite wrote:Reportedly the screens inside the building were working for a couple of days last week before returning to their advanced state of non-functionality. The ones at platform level have been turned off for a week or so in what must be a sudden outbreak of common sense on NJT's part.
Steeplechase is coming up soon. I wonder if they will display information for that?
  by geoffand

Still waiting for the updated schedules...

NJT has yet to send updated schedules to Google and the iPhone app. Highly annoying.
  by Kaback9

geoffand wrote:Still waiting for the updated schedules...

NJT has yet to send updated schedules to Google and the iPhone app. Highly annoying.
Just use the website.
  by ryanov

It is really irritating that NJT releases something people have started to rely on, however (Google Transit), and promotes it and then doesn't make it reliable.
  by Jishnu

ryanov wrote:It is really irritating that NJT releases something people have started to rely on, however (Google Transit), and promotes it and then doesn't make it reliable.
Seems to be about normal for NJT.
  by ryanov

Yeah, I guess like their transit service in general. :)
  by geoffand

Perhaps Alstom supplied the conversion code...

"All NJT trains are running ^&@%*( to (*^@%( late. We apologize for constantly apologizing."
  by geoffand

ryanov wrote:It is really irritating that NJT releases something people have started to rely on, however (Google Transit), and promotes it and then doesn't make it reliable.
Still no update. I want my money back. :P
  by geoffand

Anyone ever notice that Watsessing is missing from the detailed view? Click on a Montclair-Boonton train and Watsessing does not appear as a stop.

Still no update...
  by JamesRR

I agree, it's very annoying that the timetables are out of date. $5 for a dedicated app, and it's out of date. I was really liking the app, including the hidden feature of being able to tap on a station name in Map view and get a list of every train leaving on every line from that station.

I guess it is the digital equivalent of NJT...
  by sullivan1985

Why bother wasting 5 dollars to waste space on your iPhone with another meaningless application when you can just get a free public time table? You can get them at just about any station and they provide the correct and current information. They seem to have been doing the trick just fine the last hundred years or so, but hey what do I know?