• Waning months for the geeps

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by bbunge

With the coming of the MP36's, planned to start early next year, guess we can assume this will be the last fall/winter season for the GP39s and perhaps the 40's as well? What is now common will become increasingly rare. Those 39s seemed so new back in the days of the F's and RDC's!

Bob
  by realtype

MARC plans to keep all of the '39s, and get rid of all the '40s, which I think is a dumb move.

Out of all of the MARC power equipment I dislike the GP39 most. It only has 2300hp compared to the GP40's 3000hp and can only provide HEP for 4 cars, while the GP40 can power 6. Plus the GP40 looks much more attracive (and original) with its old MTA color style scheme and safety cab. While the '39 is supposedly rated to 90mph (the GP40 can go to 100mph), it definitely seems much slower even on the 80max Brunswick Line. When you're behind a GP40 you can feel a pull when the train is accelerating, but the '39 takes its own sweet time.

The reasoning behind this move was probably since there are only 6 '39s it would make sense to keep them instead of the 20 GP40s, although I think that the '39s are actually older than the '40s. But, it makes no logical sense when you consider the fact that the GP40s can handle more cars, have more hp for acceleration, have a higher top speed (important on the Penn Line), and look better :-). Plus it seems the 39's break down more often than the 40's on the CSX lines. The 40's break down often (hence the reason they're being replaced), but that's usually when they're running them at 100 on the Penn Line.

As far as seeing there numbers dwindle, that would be unlikely to happen for at least a year. Most of the GP40's and GP39's will definitely be around next fall/winter. The MP36 deliveries start next spring, but likely won't be completed more a year or so. With the return of the AEM-7s from Wilmington MARC already has a surplus of locomotives, but I doubt the MTA will just start a mass sell-off of the geeps as soon as the MP's come in.
  by NortheastTrainMan

realtype wrote:MARC plans to keep all of the '39s, and get rid of all the '40s, which I think is a dumb move.

Out of all of the MARC power equipment I dislike the GP39 most. It only has 2300hp compared to the GP40's 3000hp and can only provide HEP for 4 cars, while the GP40 can power 6. Plus the GP40 looks much more attracive (and original) with its old MTA color style scheme and safety cab. While the '39 is supposedly rated to 90mph (the GP40 can go to 100mph), it definitely seems much slower even on the 80max Brunswick Line. When you're behind a GP40 you can feel a pull when the train is accelerating, but the '39 takes its own sweet time.

The reasoning behind this move was probably since there are only 6 '39s it would make sense to keep them instead of the 20 GP40s, although I think that the '39s are actually older than the '40s. But, it makes no logical sense when you consider the fact that the GP40s can handle more cars, have more hp for acceleration, have a higher top speed (important on the Penn Line), and look better :-). Plus it seems the 39's break down more often than the 40's on the CSX lines. The 40's break down often (hence the reason they're being replaced), but that's usually when they're running them at 100 on the Penn Line.

As far as seeing there numbers dwindle, that would be unlikely to happen for at least a year. Most of the GP40's and GP39's will definitely be around next fall/winter. The MP36 deliveries start next spring, but likely won't be completed more a year or so. With the return of the AEM-7s from Wilmington MARC already has a surplus of locomotives, but I doubt the MTA will just start a mass sell-off of the geeps as soon as the MP's come in.

I know right! MARC's GP40s can haul 6 bi-levels @ 90 MPH!! But if they are sold sell them to NJT,AMT,GO,SEPTA,or somebody.
  by realtype

NortheastTrainMan wrote:
I know right! MARC's GP40s can haul 6 bi-levels @ 90 MPH!! But if they are sold sell them to NJT,AMT,GO,SEPTA,or somebody.
I heard NJT was trying to get rid of their GP40's as well, but SEPTA could prob. use them (if they wanted to start diesel service that is).
  by mrconductor55

Aw,

Thats too bad. Well I saw the GP40's and one GP39 over the summer. I live in Chicago. I thought it was cool seeing the 39 because I had never seen a Geep go so fast. And without the safety cab it looks like a freight engine. Well atleast I have pics. Were these EMD Lagrange Builds, or did Marc have them rebuilt from freight engines?

by realtype

mrconductor55 wrote:Aw,

Thats too bad. Well I saw the GP40's and one GP39 over the summer. I live in Chicago. I thought it was cool seeing the 39 because I had never seen a Geep go so fast. And without the safety cab it looks like a freight engine. Well atleast I have pics. Were these EMD Lagrange Builds, or did Marc have them rebuilt from freight engines?
From wikipedia:

"MARC GP40WH-2 #52 at Camden Station, Baltimore, MarylandIn the early 1990s, Morrison Knudsen was contacted by MARC to build a fleet of GP40s using basically the leftover parts of the GP40s used in the GP40FH-2 order. These units were called GP40WH-2s and featured a red nose similar to early Amtrak diesels. The rear hood sections were made from left over SD45 radiator sections from MK's Southern Pacific SD40M rebuild program. The GP40WH-2 is equipped with a Cummins head-end power generator and is rated at 3000hp, allowing the locomotive to push/pull up to 6 bi-levels at up to 100mph. and the locomotives can push up to 6 cars. These units are equipped with Gyralites. Because the engines were ordered with Gyralites before the mandatory use of ditch lights, The FRA exempted MARC from the "triangular light pattern" rule. The engines were delivered with Nathan Airchime K5LAR3 horns, with "snow-cone" debris covers. These covers have almost totally disappeared, but many of the mounting rings are still attached to the mouths of the horn bells. They are numbered 51 to 69 on the MARC roster.

In the late 1980s, Morrison-Knudsen rebuilt six GP40s for MARC, numbered 70 to 75. They were downgraded from 3000 horsepower to 2300 horsepower, and requipped with Cummins HEP generators. Number 73 was the push unit for MARC #P286, which was involved in a fatal collision with Amtrak's Capitol Limited on February 16th, 1996 73 was rebuilt, and continues to work for MARC In 1996, the units received ditch lights on their anticlimbers, and during the late 90s, received reflective tape around the side sills and anticlimbers. The GP39H-2 can push/pull a maximum of 4 cars at speeds of up to 90mph.

70 Built July 1967,ex-New York Central/Conrail 3062
71 Built August 1967,ex-New York Central/Conrail 3066
72 Built 1968,ex-Conrail 3423
73 Built February 1969, ex-Baltimore & Ohio 3703
74 Built February 1969, ex-Baltimore & Ohio 3710
75 Built January 1968, ex-Milwaukee Road 2051 "

I personally dislike the GP39's--they're slow (you can always tell when you're behind one) and I prefer the appearance on the '40 (the safety cab and flared radiator makes it look more muscular, and the paint scheme contrasts nicely with the rest of MARC's fleet).
  by Kaback9

realtype wrote:
NortheastTrainMan wrote:
I heard NJT was trying to get rid of their GP40's as well, but SEPTA could prob. use them (if they wanted to start diesel service that is).

Theres no plan right now to get rid of the NJT Geeps especially with the all the problems that pop up with the PL42s, They may be replaced by the dualmodes when they arrive but thats not going to be for a while and since the dual modes will be brand new with no other type before them we may see Geeps for longer than we expect. Some GP40FH's have been leased out to AMT but other than that I don't think to much has happened with the fleet.

Septa has no use for diesels they have no plans now nor does it look like ever to start diesel service.