Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by JKTRR

Took a trip to Oyster Bay over the weekend; two Q's:
* Between Locust Valley and Oyster Bay, on north side of tracks, is stone structure that looks to be ex-station. Was it?

* I recall reading in some LIRR resource about a "line relocation" in the Glen Cove area some years ago, that source which I can not now locate; any info would be welcomed!

Thanks!
  by Amtrak7

JKTRR wrote: * Between Locust Valley and Oyster Bay, on north side of tracks, is stone structure that looks to be ex-station. Was it?
Could it be the abandoned Mill Neck station?
  by jayrmli

It sounds like Mill Neck. Mill Neck was closed as a railroad station with the implementation of the new diesel fleet, as they didn't want to install high level platforms there. I think the building is still used as a police station.

Jay
  by LongIslandTool

Mill Neck had seven daily passengers when it was closed.
  by Nasadowsk

The tracks were never realigned through Glen Cove. Realistically, about the only move that would make sense if they WERE to, though, would be to either single track at Sea Cliff, use the extra space to straighten and lengthen the platform at Glen Street, or, more realistically, leave Glen Street as two tracks, but straighten them out and cut the line back to there.

Really, Glen Cove's a short walk away, and Locust Valley's a 5 minute drive (if that!). Oyster Bay has practically no ridership, since it's faster to go to Syosett and take an electric from there...
  by JKTRR

(may have answered my own Q): July 2002 LIRR (Weekend Chief) calendar page was a Norman Kohl 1961 view showing F-M #1501 and three cars westbound out of the Glen Street station "passing the new route effected by the building of the Glen Cove by-pass."
  by R36 Combine Coach

jayrmli wrote:It sounds like Mill Neck. Mill Neck was closed as a railroad station with the implementation of the new diesel fleet, as they didn't want to install high level platforms there. I think the building is still used as a police station.
Mill Neck station closed March 16, 1998. Several other diesel stops closed on the same day, included the entire Montauk Branch between LIC and Jamaica. These stations had low ridership and were not worth converting to high platforms.
  by islandtransit

The reason for low ridership at those stations is up for debate and you all know my position on that, but I think the Glen Cove bypass would be Rt 107, nothing to do with the RR except for the overpass.
  by RPM2Night

I will still argue that the railroad should have gotten bilevel cars like NJ Transit, which are fully ADA compliant, but can also service low level platforms.
  by LIRailfan79

RPM2Night wrote:I will still argue that the railroad should have gotten bilevel cars like NJ Transit, which are fully ADA compliant, but can also service low level platforms.
i agree, i have peeked into their double deckers at penn, very nice! the best part is you can walk from car to car with only the press of a button! no 300 Lb door to wrestle with.

the ability to unload passengers at a low level location seems to be a huge safety advantage in the event that a train need to be evacuated quickly (fire). even though we dont have any low level platforms its still a good capability to have.
  by RPM2Night

[quote="LIRailfan79even though we dont have any low level platforms its still a good capability to have.[/quote]

Then you also have to wonder that if in the future the LIRR does get a similar bilevel coach with ground access, might they consider re-opening some of the stations that they didn't want to elevate? I doubt there would be any along the lower Montauk, but I could see a slight honest possibility of opening up a couple of still remaining stations along the Mainline and Montauk.
  by PW team track

Here is a shot of Mill Neck, taken in May of 1988.
  by MACTRAXX

PW: Good Mill Neck pic! That is of postcard quality-did you ever think of submitting it for consideration also for the LIST-NRHS Calender or the RMLI Calender? MACTRAXX
  by robertwa

This shot was taken in Feb., 2003