Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Tom Curtin

Late morning today (10/1) I caught a train of M-2s northbound on the Harlem. Since it didn't make any stops I would guess it was a deadhead move. Sorry if I'm making a big deal about something that occurs routinely, but this was a first for me.

by Nasadowsk

Whatever in the world is an M-2 doing on the Harlem line?

It's not like the NH line has an oversupply of them.

But wait - WHERE on the Harlem line? Below Woodlawn (?), they share with the NH line. If it was far up near White Plains, I'd be more curious...

by DutchRailnut

Twice a week a M2/4/6 train heads up to Brewster to pick up a pair and drop a pair of cars for Window Mods and event recorder modifications.
you will see a train on Hudson too for Wheel work at Harmon.

by AlM

Do M-2s sometimes undergo emergency repairs at Harmon?

A few weeks ago I was taking a 7:23 AM to NWP, and there was an announcement of a track change for a Stamford or New Haven train (forget which). Then as my train was heading north, there was an M2 heading north on the inbound local track (i.e., the track used to by outbound Hudson line trains in the mornings).

by DutchRailnut

not ussualy but after the rush is when some trains head to Highbridge yard for interior maintenace.

by Otto Vondrak

It is fairly common... I've seen them in revenue service on the Hudson Line, too. But they do end up in Brewster for some sort of upgrade or re-fit that can only be done at Put Jct shop for some reason...

-otto-

by mncommuter

I got on an M2/4/6 (not sure which) a few years back at Goldens Bridge headed south. I made a comment to the conductor about it being unusual to have a New Haven set running on the Harlem. He agreed, and said he'd never been trained on the equipment and was trying to figure out how it worked!

M2s

by njtmnrrbuff

I've seen one picture a long time ago of an M2 at Tarrytown. Pretty much, unless of a NH Line MU is heading to Harmon, NWP, or Southeast to get checked, they stay where they're supposed to be. The ex-NH can never run too low on its own equipment especially if its really geared for that territory, whereabouts the M1s and 3s, and 7s can only stay on third rail.