• EXTENDED PERRYVILLE SERVICE!

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Bobby S

I am new to this state and would enjoy weekend service! How about people wanting to get to the Camden Yards for games? Better yet we need a late train back north to Perryville for after games! Lots of games are at night!!! There are people NORTH of Baltimore!! LOTS!!! How can we make it happen???
  by CNJGeep

Have Bill Gates donate his entire net worth to MARC/CSX/AMTRAK. :-D
  by gprimr1

Grab a hammer and start spiking some rail :)

Seriously, there are major problems with the ROW north of Baltimore. Between Baltimore and DC, it is mostly 3-4 tracks, so there is plenty of room for Amtrak and MARC to interact. North of Baltimore, you are running on 2-3 tracks and have to cross two bridges which are 2 tracks. There are also issues with the B&P tunnels, though this affects WAS-DC too.

MARC is a victim of it's own success and I think they are now having to deal with serving three different markets. Baltimore is trying to sell itself as a suburb of DC, but there are also jobs in Baltimore.

I suggest you check this link out: http://mtamaryland.com/projects/marc%20plan%20full.pdf

I worked on part of that project as an intern and it'll explain some of the improvements planned for the next 20 years.
  by Bobby S

I still want more Peryville Service! :-D At least on weekends when we want to use "transit" to get to Baltimore and utilize the "light rail" also! I mean, USE MASS TRANSIT!!! is the cry everywhere! Well provide service... And we shall use!!! Of course there is way more to it as everyone knows! lol
  by CarterB

Why stop just at Perryvillle? On to Newark, DE!!!!
  by realtype

Don't worry, you guys will get your service...in 2015. :-D
  by djlong

Living just a few miles south of Manchester-Boston Regional Airport (MHT) and since Southwest has so many flights to BWI that are VERY convenient, I would LOVE to take weekenders to Baltimore and DC but there's only Amtrak service at the rail station in either direction.

To say that I was surprised to learn that MARC ran only M-F would be an understatement.
  by polybalt

Living just a few miles south of Manchester-Boston Regional Airport (MHT) and since Southwest has so many flights to BWI that are VERY convenient, I would LOVE to take weekenders to Baltimore and DC but there's only Amtrak service at the rail station in either direction.
I agree that lack of weekend service makes it harder to visit Washington using BWI, but Baltimore is easy -- the light rail line operates seven days a week every half hour direct from the terminal to downtown Baltimore. So come on down, y'all!
  by realtype

polybalt wrote:
I agree that lack of weekend service makes it harder to visit Washington using BWI, but Baltimore is easy -- the light rail line operates seven days a week every half hour direct from the terminal to downtown Baltimore. So come on down, y'all!
It's not that bad. Amtrak runs quite semi-frequently on the weekend, but it'll cost you ~$18 as compared to $6 ( :( ).

BTW I didn't know anyone in Maryland said "y'all." :-D