• Another damaged car at Brentwood

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by jerryinva

I noticed this morning there was another damaged car with tarps over it, parked behind the feeler car at Brentwood...missing nearly, if not all the windows. When I passed by on the opposite side tonight, I noticed how badly beat up the car was, and I caught a glimpse of a number... 1076.

Does Metro keep all of the damaged/destroyed cars? And why would they be moving this one around?
  by Sand Box John

"jerryinva"
I noticed this morning there was another damaged car with tarps over it, parked behind the feeler car at Brentwood...missing nearly, if not all the windows. When I passed by on the opposite side tonight, I noticed how badly beat up the car was, and I caught a glimpse of a number... 1076.

1076 was one of the 4 cars that was involved in the Federal Triangle D01 interlocking wreck on 01 13 1982. (1028-29, 1076-77) I believe the other undamaged car is used in the tunnel rescue training simulator in the Carmen E. Turner Maintenance and Training facility.

Does Metro keep all of the damaged/destroyed cars?

Yes.

And why would they be moving this one around?

They are being moved around because WMATA is presently engaged in major maintenance facility expansion projects at Shady Grove and Brentwood. They have recently completed similar facility expansions at Greenbelt and New Carrollton.
  by SchuminWeb

Actually, 1076 was the mate to the accident car for the Woodley Park-Zoo accident.

I was surprised to see it at Brentwood, though, and without windows, from what I can tell. I was also surprised to see some crumpling near the blind end, but I suppose that's what happens when your mate goes *gruntch* in an underground station. Does anyone know what they're using 1076 for?
  by Sand Box John

"SchuminWeb"
Actually, 1076 was the mate to the accident car for the Woodley Park-Zoo accident.

I stand corrected. I was reading the listing of retired 1k cars from the table on page 56 of the NTSB report of the Woodley Park-Zoo wreck. I totally missed that cars listed in that table also included the cars in that wreck.

That would now lead me to believe that the car in tunnel rescue training simulator is the unfitted shell that Rohr Industries sold to WMATA as part of that procurement contract.

I was surprised to see it at Brentwood, though, and without windows, from what I can tell. I was also surprised to see some crumpling near the blind end, but I suppose that's what happens when your mate goes *gruntch* in an underground station. Does anyone know what they're using 1076 for?

Your guess is as good as mine. I did come across a document at wmata.com that had a "drawings and specifications" for a contract to procure a purpose built "track geometry vehicle". This car may also be intended to perform clearance checking. If so, WMATA may refit the orphans 1076 and 1028 and make them a revenue married pair.
  by SchuminWeb

I took another look at it from Track 2 coming off the elevated, and from what I can tell, the paint has been stripped off the exterior, and the interior has been gutted. It appears that there are no seats inside, no partitions, and no flooring. Kind of a sad state.
  by realtype

SchuminWeb wrote:I took another look at it from Track 2 coming off the elevated, and from what I can tell, the paint has been stripped off the exterior, and the interior has been gutted. It appears that there are no seats inside, no partitions, and no flooring. Kind of a sad state.
Brentwood must be Metro's new train graveyard. :-D
  by Sand Box John

"realtype"
Brentwood must be Metro's new train graveyard.

WMATA added a nonelectrified track to the yard adjacent to track 21. Some of the damaged cars were previously stored at Shady Grove. WMATA is in the process of expanding the servicing building at Shady Grove that will increase the number of servicing bays from 20 car to 36 cars.
  by jerryinva

I noticed this morning that not only does 1076 have no windows, no exterior lights, missing paint, and a big crunch in the blind end, but also larges holes in the floor!
  by Robert Paniagua

1076/77 AFAIC are total losses, they won't be seeing revenue riders anymore, they may be scrapped ultimately.
  by SchuminWeb

Yeah, 1077 I figured would be a write-off, but 1076 being as crunched up as it is kind of surprised me, considering that the mates from the Shady Grove accident were able to be matched and run in revenue service again.
  by Sand Box John

"SchuminWeb"
Yeah, 1077 I figured would be a write-off, but 1076 being as crunched up as it is kind of surprised me, considering that the mates from the Shady Grove accident were able to be matched and run in revenue service again.

In the Woodly Park-Zoo wreck, one third of the length of 1077 was on top of 4018 resulting in damage to blind end of 1076. In the Shady Grove wreck 3252 telescoped into 3191 resulting in minor damage to 3253.
  by WMATA Black-Black

I was able to catch this picture from Track 1. 1028 is to the left and 1076 is to the right with tarp on it. BTW I beleive the car in the fire training facility is 3191 from the Shady Grove accident.[
  by jerryinva

I noticed that the feeler car still has the third rail "paddles" (not sure what they are really called)... but it looks like 1076 is missing all of its underside equipment....and even has holes in the floor....

Would love to see the inside of the feeler car...