• Wi-Fi on MARC

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by realtype

According to a online survey that MARC put out today, MARC is considering introducing onboard Wi-Fi service (for a fee). Only Baltimore Penn and Union stations currently have Wi-Fi.

MARC survey
  by Mirai Zikasu

Doesn't MARC have any more important issues on which to focus like expanding its fleet to alleviate crowding and starting up weekend service on the Penn Line?
  by realtype

Mirai Zikasu wrote:Doesn't MARC have any more important issues on which to focus like expanding its fleet to alleviate crowding and starting up weekend service on the Penn Line?
MARC has already parially dealt with those issues. I've read somewhere that it was Amtrak's reluctance to operate MARC trains on the weekend that caused the delay in the initiation of weekend service originally scheduled to begin this summer. Apparently weekend service should begin this fall.

As far as crowding is concerned, MARC has purchased all 13 of VRE's Kawasaki bi-levels, and they should be in service by the end of October. These cars should be enough to relieve the crowding on the Penn Line, at least for now...
  by HokieNav

I got the survey too, and volunteered to be a beta tester for the service - pending any NDAs, I'll be sure to keep everyone in the loop. Good on MARC for continuing to make the service more attractive!