Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by KFRG

One thing is for sure, M-2's, or any other North American railcar is a hell of alot more sturdy/solid than any Euro equivalent.
Except NJT's C5's of course! :-D

by Swedish Meatball

Seating capacity of Amfleet is between 82-84 seats. The current M-7's have 110 A, 101 B car. That does not include the fact that these cars have huge vestibules that people can stand in. The aisles are way to narrow in the Amtrak cars to work commuter. Amfleet could only work on longer trips outside the scope of commuter rail. Do not forget Mystic is also a stop on the shoreline. New London is a much bigger stop than Old Saybrook it does have a couple Acela trains stopping their, at least it used to.

by AC

KFRG wrote:One thing is for sure, M-2's, or any other North American railcar is a hell of alot more sturdy/solid than any Euro equivalent.
Well it's partly true.But we have few accidents. Remind me, how many people were killed in Amtrak accidents and derailments!??? In switzerland, the trains which were built by ABB and SLM were very solid too and have proved over the years their quality! (some of the swiss national railway locomotives (the Ae 4/7's) were built in 1927 and were still in service in... 1997!!!!!!!

by sullivan1985

AC wrote:
KFRG wrote:One thing is for sure, M-2's, or any other North American railcar is a hell of alot more sturdy/solid than any Euro equivalent.
Well it's partly true.But we have few accidents. Remind me, how many people were killed in Amtrak accidents and derailments!??? In switzerland, the trains which were built by ABB and SLM were very solid too and have proved over the years their quality! (some of the swiss national railway locomotives (the Ae 4/7's) were built in 1927 and were still in service in... 1997!!!!!!!
wow, 1927.. very impressive...

by AC

[quote="David Telesha"]1927 is certainly impressive...

The New Haven had heavyweight MU's from around 1908, IIRC, still running well into the mid 1950's. Those were solid machines and probably could have been kept going with some rebuilding.

I'd bet there still might be an operational NH locomotive or two around if it weren't for the anti-electric policies of late NH and management.

The EP-5's and even the rest of the fleet's lives were cut shorter than they had to be.[quote]

http://www.photos-trains.ch/photos/pict ... ,9,509,290

Here's a picture of the locomotive that still survives today! It's in Lausanne main station only... 100 meters from where I live :-D !
That's why I don't have a car. :wink:
Actually, Lausanne station sees 16 passenger trains per hour!!!!!!!!!!!!
Note the nice iron roof over the tracks.

You're right I'm sure the New Haven Ep 5's could have last much longer.
But the one I prefer is the Ep3 (mother of the GG1). I have a model (MTH) of the Ep3 a and I love it! It would be wonderful to see such locomotives running on the shoreline nowadays rather than those HPP-8's!!
And what about streamlined coaches!? much better than the current amfleet equipment!

by AC

[quote="David Telesha"]1927 is certainly impressive...

The New Haven had heavyweight MU's from around 1908, IIRC, still running well into the mid 1950's. Those were solid machines and probably could have been kept going with some rebuilding.

I'd bet there still might be an operational NH locomotive or two around if it weren't for the anti-electric policies of late NH and management.

The EP-5's and even the rest of the fleet's lives were cut shorter than they had to be.[quote]

http://www.photos-trains.ch/photos/pict ... ,9,509,290

Here's a picture of the locomotive that still survives today! It's in Lausanne main station only... 100 meters from where I live :-D !
That's why I don't have a car. :wink:
Actually, Lausanne station sees 16 passenger trains per hour!!!!!!!!!!!!
Note the nice iron roof over the tracks.

You're right I'm sure the New Haven Ep 5's could have last much longer.
But the one I prefer is the Ep3 (mother of the GG1). I have a model (MTH) of the Ep3 a and I love it! It would be wonderful to see such locomotives running on the shoreline nowadays rather than those HPP-8's!!
And what about streamlined coaches!? much better than the current amfleet equipment!