• Existing freight stations in New Jersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by GSC

The old Belmar freight house on the NY&LB was moved in the early 60s to the municipal yard and became a town warehouse and garage. Is it still there? Was visible north of the 18th Ave grade crossing, west of the tracks, at the south end of Sterner's oil truck yard. It was painted white, last I saw it.

The old Bradley Beach freight house was quite big for NY&LB. Old timetables called it "Ocean Grove", newer timetables called the yard "Asbury Park", everyone else called it Bradley Beach yard, and the freight house was physically in Neptune. Torn down in 1972, Memorial Drive runs throught there now, where the small yard is.

It is pictured in the Arcadia "Images of America" book on Bradley Beach.
  by R36 Combine Coach

The Tennent freight station in Manalapan on the Conrail Freehold & Jamesburg Railroad still exists, at Main Street (County Route 3).

Belmar no longer stands, but the freight yard siding and platform at Bradley Beach still remains.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Ken W2KB wrote:LV Bayonne (East 22nd Street) a business owns it
After investigating various aerial surveys, I have yet to locate this station. It appears not be at where the Hudson Bergen Light Rail station currently is, so I assume it is further east on 22 Street, somewhere in the industrial park?
  by The Rising

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:LV Bayonne (East 22nd Street) a business owns it
After investigating various aerial surveys, I have yet to locate this station. It appears not be at where the Hudson Bergen Light Rail station currently is, so I assume it is further east on 22 Street, somewhere in the industrial park?
Hello all,

Hello R36 Combine Coach!

Here is the link to "Birdseye" view from maps.live.com of the LV freight station in Bayonne.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1

The LV Freighthouse is the brick building (look for the black flat roof over the second story, and the red roof over the single story portion) directly on East 22 Street. (immediately off Route 440, between Rt. 440 and the HBLR) The trucking company is located on a portion of the former LV Bayonne yard. The large square building (light brown?) is an addition added by the trucking firm. The tracks were located along the Rt. 440 side of the building.

In addition to the freight house in Bayonne, The LV freight house in Bloomsbury still exists also (see small white building just to the right of the large Agway plant):

While some consider this a passenger station, from all the times I have looked at that building, I'm pretty sure it was primarily a freight station. However, I could be wrong. It could very well have been a joint passenger/freight station combo.

As Ken (Ken W2KB) mentioned previously, the former LV freight house in Flemington stands as well.

As Sandy Burton mentioned as well, the LV freight station in Clinton still stands as well:

Also, there has been, from time to time, rumors that a portion of the LV facilities in Pittstown NJ existed as well. Here is the complex located directly at the end of the long abandoned line.

One of the buildings in that complex looks very similiar to the LV freight houses in Clinton and Flemington. I have not been able to confirm however, if it is indeed a former LV structure or not. Hopefully one of the many LV fans who visit this board might know more. It amazes me that so many LV structures survive today.

Well that's all for now folks,

See ya all later........
  by R36 Combine Coach

Update: Blairstown's freight station on the Cutoff from 1912 survives, albeit slightly modified for a local scrap/demolition company. Lake Hopatcong/Stanhope (Landing) on the DL&W still has its original 1911 freight platform with cobblestones from the days when the horse and carriage picked up and deilvered shipments to trains.
  by Kaback9

the freight house on the old CNJ through Marlboro(now part of the awful Henry Hudson Trail) is still there as is the CNJ Station, both are on private property but if you ask they will let you inside the station, i'm not to sure if they will allow you in the freight house as theres alot of equipment in it from what i have seen when i rode by on my bike. also in Freehold on Jackson street the old CNJ depot is still there and if i recall behind it are a bunch of buildings one of which was another CNJ freight house.
  by B_A_R

The DL&W freighthouse stood next to the Kernan rock crusher in South Orange until it was razed for condos in the 1990s. It was a print shop in the 1970s.

I saw where the platform work at Newark Broad Street uncovered the woodframe doors of a freight elevator on the eastbound side.

I think the old RV station in Springfield, still standing, had a freight section with large door.

There is a small business with trackside platform on the M&E just outside the entrance to the yard. Was this once a freighthouse?
  by R36 Combine Coach

Kaback9 wrote:also in Freehold on Jackson street the old CNJ depot is still there and if i recall behind it are a bunch of buildings one of which was another CNJ freight house.
According to old aerial surveys, CNJ had a wye at Freehold. The passenger station was at the north end of the wye's west leg. There are two structures that may be the old freight building, that would have been on the south end of the wye on the other side of the street (Ford Avenue bisected the wye). It may also be possible the freight house was a demolished building north of the Ford Avenue crossing opposite the passenger station.

Two other CNJ freight stations to note:

Flanders (High Bridge Branch)
Toms River

Also, Janet Greenstein Potter in Great American Railroad Stations (1996) lists the 1916 Madison DL&W station having a matching freight house to the northwest, "now a YMCA". I have not located this station either.
  by Kaback9

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:also in Freehold on Jackson street the old CNJ depot is still there and if i recall behind it are a bunch of buildings one of which was another CNJ freight house.
According to old aerial surveys, CNJ had a wye at Freehold. The passenger station was at the north end of the wye's west leg. There are two structures that may be the old freight building, that would have been on the south end of the wye on the other side of the street (Ford Avenue bisected the wye). It may also be possible the freight house was a demolished building north of the Ford Avenue crossing opposite the passenger station.

as far as i know there was also a connection with the PRR in Freehold and the freight house could have been around there too, does anyone know if the building across from Pennsy station a little farther up the line heading towards Jamesburg was a Freight house or some kind of industry??? its now a laundromat(or something else not to sure) but it looks as if at one time it had a loading platform facing th track.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Based on historic aerial surveys and maps, this blue building likely was Freehold's freight station on the PRR.
  by Kaback9

nice find i have not used the areial maps for freehold on the Pennsy line only the CNJ,I biked the Matawan to Morganville section of the Henry Hudson trail today(before the bad storms of course) and its not a freight house but there is what looks to be a coal dump of to the left if your heading towards Freehold off Tennant Road.
  by henry6

[quote="R36 Combine Coach
Also, Janet Greenstein Potter in Great American Railroad Stations (1996) lists the 1916 Madison DL&W station having a matching freight house to the northwest, "now a YMCA". I have not located this station either.[/quote]

It is actually on the south side of the tracks about a quarter to a half mile east of the station and down on the flat. I believe the YMCA is in fact using the building. It was accessed by a trailing point switch off the eastbound main.

In fact, check Taber's books for pictures and map diagrams.
  by R36 Combine Coach

The L-shaped building at center here is the Morristown & Erie's freight station in Roseland. The north wing was added later in the 1970s by a subsequent owner.

Lehigh Valley freight station at South Plainfield.

Spent this whole evening browsing (almost) the whole State on Microsoft Maps. Sadly, not much stuff in South Jersey. The number of freight stations dwindle south of Interstate 195. ;(
  by JJMDiMunno

As I think I mentioned previously in this thread, the only freight station I know that survives is Haddon Heights on the CSAO Beesley Point Secondary (ex-PRSL Clementon Branch). All others were razed I believe.

Mike DiMunno
  by R36 Combine Coach

Now on to combination passenger-freight stations. Newark Penn Station is the most obvious, with a freight & express loading dock and service area on Raymond Plaza East still used by Amtrak. Berlin (PRSL) was a combination station and was Butler (NYSW) as well?