• Existing freight stations in New Jersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by R36 Combine Coach

I'm trying to record surviving freight stations in the State. I do know some existing freight house. On the NJT (DLW) Morristown Line: Dover, Morris Plains (now a model railroad club), Morristown (near the ADA mini-high ramp on the westbound side), Convent and Orange. Gladstone still exists, as does one in Boonton. The Netcong freight depot was torn down sometime in the early 80s. (Did Summit ever have a freight station?) CNJ at Elizabeth and High Bridge.
On the Erie Main/Bergen Lines, the only one I can think of is the one at Suffern (ex-REA) under the Thruway. Did Glen Rock have one, based on old aerial surveys? Careys on the CNJ (now M & E) High Bridge Branch in Flanders still exists.
  by MickD

Glen Rock had one that burned down in the mid 1960's just off of Broad St. where BCL starts to swing off from Ridgewood Jct.I was in grammar school when that caught fire.Arson was suspected.
  by Ken W2KB

CNJ High Bridge, now a restaurant
LV Flemington, garden/farm supply
CNJ Flemington, not sure current occupant
LV Bayonne (East 22nd Street) a business owns it
  by R36 Combine Coach

MickD wrote:Glen Rock had one that burned down in the mid 60s just off of Broad St. where BCL starts to swing off from Ridgewood Jct.
That must have been the Ridgewood Junction freight station.
  by MickD

That was the RJ Freight Station.Just before the Ackerman Ave. underpass coming from Glen Rock.
  by sullivan1985

West of Rutherford Station you can find the platform remains of the East Rutherford Freight House. About 10 years ago it still had two tracks and was used for Sun Chemical overflow. Then it was reduced to 1 track and ultimate removed in 2004.
  by pdman

Far Hills, Bernardsville, and Murray Hill used to have them.

Not having been on the Gladstone Branch in fifteen years, can anyone tell me if those structures are still there?
  by nick11a

Far Hills, yes.... Bernardsville.... there is a small structure still there (very small.) Not sure if that is it. And Murray Hill, no. That one is gone and I think it has been gone for a while.
  by The Rising

Hello all,

Just thought I'd add a few other freight stations to your list.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Whippany yet on the Morristown and Erie, home of the Whippany Railway Museum.

I'm told Plainfield freight station (CNJ) still stands. Also, the foundation still exists for the former CNJ Asbury/Ludlow freight station, complete with a still connected siding!

IIRC, there are at least two L&HR freight stations still standing. One in Allamuchy (sp?), and the other in Great Meadows, next to the passenger station off Rt. 46.

Well, that's all for now folks....

See ya all later......
  by sullivan1985

The Orange Freight House is now used by the NJT Signal Department and has one stub ended track. It looks like it was a much busier facility before 280 was put in. There are plenty of remains of platforms. Gladstone Freight House is the Mechanical Department for Gladstone Yard.

Also, Paterson has all kinds of remains of a huge freight facility. 4 long platforms, a tower, everything. Not sure if it was enclosed or not but it looks like it was an impressive site at one point.
  by NJT4272

The greatest treasure of this category is, of course:

The Raritan River Railroad Freight House in Milltown.
  by JJMDiMunno

In South Jersey, we have:

Haddon Heights, Conrail Beesley Point Secondary, at Station Avenue. Both the passenger station and freight house survive here, the only case of it's type.

Interstingly I can't think of any additional locations that would be freight houses - most of our surviving stations here were passenger stations at one time.

Mike DiMunno
  by CGRLCDR

I think that the Bernardsville freight station is now an office for the local newpaper located on Rt 202. Can anyone verify that?
  by gravelyfan

R36 Combine Coach wrote:I'm trying to record surviving freight stations in the State. I do know some existing freight house. ..... Morristown (near the ADA mini-high ramp on the westbound side).....
This building was NOT the "Freight House" but the Express Building. The Freight house was located where the new "Transit Friendly" development is being constructed. I believe there was a six-track yard to support the DL&W Freight House operation. The Morristown Express Building doesn't look that healthy anymore, I believe it was hit by freight cars at least twice.
  by The Rising

Hello all,

Nice pictures Jeff! I'm always thrilled to see Raritan River photos.

I think however, the real gem might be the Cranbury Freighthouse on the old Camden and Amboy.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1

A question to the many PRR historians here....

Does anyone know when Cranbury Freighthouse was built?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it is one of the oldest stations (passenger or freight) in the state that is still standing, and at its original location!!

Well that's all for know folks.

See ya all later.....