Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Jeff Smith

SecaucusJunction wrote:Heavy Rail over the Tappan Zee might have actually been the worst waste of money in a long time anyway... glad someone has finally seen that. It would have ended up lengthening commutes into NYC from Rockland and Orange County. These people will already get a one seat commute when THE tunnel opens up so putting rail in that route is pointless. The PA and Schumer have already put together deals with Stewart Airport and THE tunnel, with Schumer getting state funds for THE tunnel if the PA constructs the rail link. It seems like a win win but I'm guessing this is the final nail in the coffin for the Tappan Zee heavy rail project.
Any deal Schumer would arrange would involve federal funds, not state. The state, as discussed before, would be hard pressed to incur more debt. Otherwise, I totally agree - they need to concentrate on cross-corridor. Manhattan access will be through THE.

I still think heavy rail can work, but you still need circulator buses to get into downtown WP or into the office parks on Westchester and Mam'k Avenues. I just don't see any direct/one-seat connections to Hudson or Harlem, but I think a connection to the New Haven north/eastbound and to the NEC is critical, since Stamford is an employment center, along with WP.

by SecaucusJunction

PA took another step toward the rail link this week.

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/March ... 7Mar08.htm

They definitely want users of the airport to have a choice on how to get there.

by SecaucusJunction

More studies and more money being spent...

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/May08 ... May08.html

At least it still seems like its moving forward and even being put on the "fast-track"

by SecaucusJunction

More studies and even more money are kicked into this...

http://lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article? ... 8805100373#

Supposedly this is not even just for a Stewart rail link but for a "revitalization" of the entire line.

by Terrapin Station

SecaucusJunction wrote:More studies and even more money are kicked into this...

http://lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article? ... 8805100373#

Supposedly this is not even just for a Stewart rail link but for a "revitalization" of the entire line.
I don't understand that article. The mentions of a "one seat ride" aren't supported by what the study is said to be studying.
  by TDowling

SecaucusJunction wrote:Heavy Rail over the Tappan Zee might have actually been the worst waste of money in a long time anyway... glad someone has finally seen that. It would have ended up lengthening commutes into NYC from Rockland and Orange County. These people will already get a one seat commute when THE tunnel opens up so putting rail in that route is pointless. The PA and Schumer have already put together deals with Stewart Airport and THE tunnel, with Schumer getting state funds for THE tunnel if the PA constructs the rail link. It seems like a win win but I'm guessing this is the final nail in the coffin for the Tappan Zee heavy rail project.
I have to agree here. Commuters from WoH who commute into Manhattan do so via NJ, not Westchester and the Bronx. The time it takes to cross the Hudson River at its widest point and to make the stops in Rockland, Westchester, and the Bronx does not make this feasible. The bus alternative 1-3 on tzbsite.com are better.

There are also, unfortunately, a lot of NIMBYs who would object to the Spring Valley-Suffern link. From satellite pictures, it looks like the former ROW passes inches from their BYs!
Last edited by TDowling on Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by SecaucusJunction

I noticed that same thing while at Wal-Mart last week in the Suffern area. The track runs right past the area and there are luxury apartments/condos a few feet from the ROW. I'm pretty sure those people are not gonna remain quiet if there are plans to run plenty of commuter trains through the region. I know there are definitely more people close to the track down the line. I think everyone is coming to the conclusion that this is just not feasible.
  by oknazevad

There's only the most minuscule chance that the old Erie Piermont branch ever gets rebuilt. Not only are there homes exceedingly near the old ROW, it's actually been built on near the Spring Valley end.
  by Jeff Smith

Does the study address current ownership of the branch? I assume it was not railbanked. How long ago was it (if it was) abandoned?

Edited 7/3/08: did a google search, came up with somewhere around the late 70's with rail ripped up in the 80's?
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by SecaucusJunction

With 30,000+ Orange county residents commuting to Manhattan by car every day, I think there is definitely a NEED for improved service in the area, whether that means having a line to Stewart Airport or not. The problem is with these people who still hold onto the idea that it is a good idea to route trains over the Tappan Zee Bridge. There is no chance that the state can come up with funds for this project, nor can they get around the NIMBY objectives... and there is no point for it since THE tunnel is already funded. People need to delete the idea of Tappan Zee rail service from their minds so rail improvements can begin in this area using current infrastructure with some improvements.
  by Jeff Smith

I don't know if I agree with the idea that TZB rail should be abandoned in its entirety; I definitely don't see a need for a direct link to the Hudson line, but I do see a definite need for cross-corridor transit, whatever form it may take. I went back and took a good look at some of the maps; it seems like it would be more of a subway than a commuter rail line with the need for tunneling. I guess they've found a use for the ESA tunnel borer after it's done! Still, the massive cost to get it across and through grades, put it on a new bridge, and get it into and through White Plains.......I just don't see buses being that attractive for that distance with the estimated demand.
  by TacSupport1

Press conference is still live at this time, so this news is breaking.....

"The new bridge will be transit and commuter rail ready"

A rep from Metro North was at today's press conference and stated that the new Tappan Zee Bridge replacement project will include commuter rail to tie Rockland and Orange into the existing system in Westchester.

They are still studying at what part of the construction to install the rail lines (funding), however it will built "rail ready"
  by Otto Vondrak

TacSupport1 wrote:"The new bridge will be transit and commuter rail ready"
I'm going to be a jerk and say it... "Didn't they say the same thing about the George Washington Bridge?"

-=otto-
  by H.F.Malone

Yes, Otto, I do recall being at that press conference too. And I was told that the lower level of the GWB was referred to as "Martha".

Would have been interesting to have the IND at 178th St tied into the North Jersey routes of Public Service Co-ordinated Transit.

Will any of us live to see MNCR trains roll across the TZB? And how much mucho-expensive real estate will the ramp take in Tarrytown/Irvington?

HFM
certifed fossil
  by Port Jervis

Otto Vondrak wrote:
TacSupport1 wrote:"The new bridge will be transit and commuter rail ready"
I'm going to be a jerk and say it... "Didn't they say the same thing about the George Washington Bridge?"

-=otto-
It was built rail ready...until they added the lower roadway.