Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by mkm4

Track has been completely laid between Fleetwood and Bronxville.
Ballast seems to be about 2/3 complete.
Third rail installation has begun. Maybe a couple hundred feet is installed, from Fleetwood, north.

-- Kirk
  by Tom Curtin

There's an excellent recent photo of this in July Railpace

by mkm4

Work was completed over the weekend and the track is now in use.

by mncommuter

I had a chance to take the Harlem today, and snapped a few pics.
This is just south of Bronxville, headed north.

By the way, what is (was?) the track the goes off to the right, just north of Melrose?
  by Noel Weaver

The track branching off to the right just past Melrose Station is the old
Port Morris Branch which went to Westchester Yard (old N.Y.C.) and
beyond to Oak Point.
It was replaced by the Oak Point Link which branches off the Hudson Line
at CP-8 near High Bridge.
The old Port Morris Branch is still owned by CSX but is either abandoned or up for abandonment. There are no customers located on it.
Noel Weaver

by AlM

Does anyone know what ongoing track work on the Harlem line is still causing some very strange reroutings?

The other day my 7:23 to NWP crossed over to the southbound local track south of Crestwood, then waited for a southbound train to pass on the northbound local track, then crossed back over to the northbound local track for a normal arrival in Scarsdale.

Also, on many mornings southbound trains seem to be using the northbound local track from Fleetwood to Mt. Vernon West. At least, I think that's why the northbound train I'm on crawls into Mt. Vernon and then sits there until a southbound train passes.