Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

In a posting on the polling issue, DutchRailNut makes reference to a possible merger of LIRR and MN into NYCTA.

Jaap, don't think this legally can happen because MN for one goes interstate. Both railroads share trackage with other railroads: MN with CSX, CP, P&W, Housatonic, etc. and LIRR with AMTRAK, CSX, CP (well they interchange with CSX and CP) and NY & Atlantic. How are you going to get around these massive logistical roadblocks.

by DutchRailnut

the statement was made in jest, in responce to a non serving stupid poll. and statements by a troll.

by Otto Vondrak

There was mumbling last year about merging the LIRR and the MN into one company (on paper) to cut back on redundant management positions and to cut costs, but I dont think it ever went beyond the discussion stage.

-otto-

by DutchRailnut

part of merger has happened, they merged Legal dept, Engineering Dept, Purchasing dept, and a few others.
I believe this is about as far as it will go.

by walt

I don't know much about the systems mentioned here (and I appreciate the "tongue in cheek" nature of the original comment) but the multi-state territory involved here is not an automatic bar to such a merger. Much depends on the authorising legislation for each of the operations, however, SEPTA runs into Delaware, and MARC and VRE cross their respective state lines to enter the District of Columbia. Whether or not the idea ever becomes more than a comment made in jest may be another matter.
  by metroduff

Metro-North's Legal, Capital Engineering, and Purchasing Departments are definitely still independent of the LIRR although the two railroads cooperate on projects such as the M-7's. Merger with NYCT was never on the table.

The concept of the merger of the LIRR and MNR has languished in the dark for years in Albany. It cannot survive the light of day.

The MTA has created a Capital Construction Company to further the development of LIRR's East Side Access, NYCT's Second Avenue Subway and other "Mega-Projects." Perhaps this is what Dutch was thinking of.

As far as multistate operations are concerned, I remind you that MNR operations in CT are contracted, as are MNR trains run by NJT on the West of Hudson lines.

by KFRG

Metroduff,
I believe that CONNDOT contracts MNCR to operate the CT portion of the NH line. MNCR also has just been handed maintenace of SLE (CONNDOT). MNCR, on the other hand, contracts NJT to operate trains on their behalf.

-Tom
  by s4ny

All are subsidiaries of the MTA, a state agency, so would merging them make any difference? Probably not. They have separate labor agreements, which would be a reason to remain as separate legal entities.
Their financing is all done by the MTA, unlike the other subsidiary of MTA, the Triboro Bridge and Tunnel Auth, which has a higher bond rating and sells its own debt.