Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by helium

Hello,

We're flying into Newark on Thursday, and need to get to Chelsea.
Should we get on NJT all the way to NYP to the subway, or get 1 stop to NWP, and PATH to Manhattan?
It's twice as much to take NJT basically 1 more stop into Manhattan, I think.

If we take PATH, can we get to 23rd st on a PATH train, or do we need to switch to an MTA A/C/E train?

Can I use my MTA metro card on PATH?

thanks!

by Ken S.

Depending on how much luggage you'll be carrying. I'd go with NJT Bus 62 to NWK and switch to the PATH there. You'll have to switch to a 33rd Street train at Journal Square. PATH accepts MTA Pay-Per-Ride Metrocards. This routing is cheaper then taking the train from EWR.
  by kdjohnson

Hello

Depending on where you are trying to go. If you are trying to get to 23rd street then you could take NJT to Newark Penn station. Take the PATH to 23rd street (23rd and 6th Ave). 1.50 PATH Fare + 7.75 NJT RAIL (Newark Penn from Newark Airport)

Also you can use your Pay per ride metro card.

If you want to get in with out too many transfers you could take NJT from Newark Airport to NY Penn Station (34th Street) and then Tranfer to NYC Subway to get to 23rd street ($15 EWR to NY Penn Station + what ever you would pay for subway fare).

Ken
  by kdjohnson

Ken S. wrote:Depending on how much luggage you'll be carrying. I'd go with NJT Bus 62 to NWK and switch to the PATH there. You'll have to switch to a 33rd Street train at Journal Square. PATH accepts MTA Pay-Per-Ride Metrocards. This routing is cheaper then taking the train from EWR.
Ken, I almost forgot about that bus.

KJ
  by Ken S.

kdjohnson wrote:
Ken S. wrote:Depending on how much luggage you'll be carrying. I'd go with NJT Bus 62 to NWK and switch to the PATH there. You'll have to switch to a 33rd Street train at Journal Square. PATH accepts MTA Pay-Per-Ride Metrocards. This routing is cheaper then taking the train from EWR.
Ken, I almost forgot about that bus.

KJ
I think it's been mentioned here several times. It's a light luggage alternate to paying the EWR access fee if you're traveling to/from NWK. There is a baggage restriction on the route.

by helium

Thanks.

I may not have been clear, so this is what I meant.

We'll have a courier bag each, so that's no big deal, and a baby in a stroller - sort of a big deal, but he's 1 and likes to travel.
So the idea was that we fly to Newark Int'l., get on NJT 1 stop to Newark Penn, get on PATH to lower Manhattan, and either take the orange line, whatever that route is, all the way to 23rd St., where we walk to the apt.

Or we take NJT to NYP (twice as much fare cost) to the ACE to 23rd St.

Thoughts?

by Ken S.

helium wrote:Thanks.

We'll have a courier bag each, so that's no big deal, and a baby in a stroller - sort of a big deal, but he's 1 and likes to travel.
So the idea was that we fly to Newark Int'l., get on NJT 1 stop to Newark Penn, get on PATH to lower Manhattan, and either take the orange line, whatever that route is, all the way to 23rd St., where we walk to the apt.

Thoughts?
The routing I posted in my first reply is the best one to go with. As I stated there is an access fee charged for using the EWR Rail Station.

62 Bus Schedule (PDF) You'll need exact fare for the bus.

by helium

I'd go with NJT Bus 62 to NWK and switch to the PATH there. You'll have to switch to a 33rd Street train at Journal Square. PATH accepts MTA Pay-Per-Ride Metrocards. This routing is cheaper then taking the train from EWR.

This seems to be saying to take a bus from the airport to Newark Penn station and get on a train there. My experience with city buses has not exactly been pleasant, nor reliable, at least in Boston.
Isn't the NJT train station right at the airport anyway?

by Irish Chieftain

No; it's across the highway. You'll have to ride the monorail from the terminal to the train station.

As for the route 62 bus, during most of the day it runs every half-hour; and you'd have to be careful, since northbound (to Newark) and southbound (towards Elizabeth) buses use the same stop.

Sounds like the trip you're looking for entails a three-seat ride (four-seat if you want to ostensibly include the monorail); EWR to Newark Penn, PATH WTC line (red route) to Journal Square; then PATH JSQ-33rd Street line (orange route) to 23rd Street (free transfer on PATH). Here's a link to a map of the PATH system

by helium

I know this is blasphemy, but would it be better to take a cab to Newark Penn from the airport instead of a train or bus we may have to wait at least 30 minutes to catch?

by Ken S.

helium wrote:
I'd go with NJT Bus 62 to NWK and switch to the PATH there. You'll have to switch to a 33rd Street train at Journal Square. PATH accepts MTA Pay-Per-Ride Metrocards. This routing is cheaper then taking the train from EWR.

This seems to be saying to take a bus from the airport to Newark Penn station and get on a train there. My experience with city buses has not exactly been pleasant, nor reliable, at least in Boston.
NJT buses tend to be reliable and clean. The bus will stop right at the airport terminals. The train station is a short monorail ride away and charges a fare of $7.75 to NWK. The 62 bus fare is $1.35.

by Ken S.

helium wrote:I know this is blasphemy, but would it be better to take a cab to Newark Penn from the airport instead of a train or bus we may have to wait at least 30 minutes to catch?
A cab may windup being more expensive than the train. If you can get to the North Area of the Airport and you should be able to, unless the policy has changed, NJT's 107 bus will take you directly to New York and is better than dealing with Coach USA's often substandard maintenance.

NJT 107 Bus Schedule (PDF)

by timz

The timetable shows the 62 bus running every 10-15 minutes midday; if you can get on it with your luggage and stroller there's no reason to consider the train to downtown Newark. It costs more and the total time (monorail, ticketbuy, and wait for slightly-less-frequent train) won't be much less, if any.

Is 6th Ave at 23rd St or 14th St as good as any for you?

by timz

Ken S. wrote:If you can get to the North Area of the Airport ... NJT's 107 bus will take you directly to New York
Because you need to circumvent the no-airport-passengers rule, you mean? Better give him directions to where the actual bus stop is.

Cab to the bus stop, bus to 42nd St, then subway from there-- is that supposed to end up faster than 62-to-PATH?

(Your timetable shows the 107 bus running once an hour, 10:22 to 2:22)

by Allan

helium wrote:Thanks.

Thoughts?
Orange line??? In NYC we don't identify the routes by their colors. Nevertheless the B, D and F (orange on the subway map) trains do not have stops in Lower Manhattan anywhere near the WTC station.

You didn't say 23rd St and where. If you want 23rd St on the west side of Manhattan then from Newark Penn take PATH to Journal Square and switch (across the platform) to the 33rd St train. Take that to 23rd St (6th Av). You can then walk east or west along 23rd. If you want to go to the WTC from Newark Penn take the PATH train all the way down there. You can pick up the E train and take that uptown to 23rd St (8th Av). The A train doesn't stop at 23rd St, the C train doesn't stop at WTC (where the E does). You can walk along the passageway to the A & C station (Chambers St) and pick up the C train there which becomes a local and stops at 23rd St.

A couple of things you should be aware of: The #1 train (red line on the subway map) does not stop at the WTC. That station (Cortlandt St) was destroyed on 9/11 and while a shell of a station was rebuilt nothing will reopen until a final decision is made as to what will happen with the rest of the site. The other Cortlandt St station (R, W lines [Yellow on the subway map]) is closed until next year while work is done on the new Fulton St transit hub.