Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by JayMan

As it seems LIRR East Side Access, MNCR Penn Access, and all lacking access to LM being a problem, wouldn't a straighforward (and probably insanely expensive) solution be the following:

Build a new tunnel extending from GCT that connects with NYP (as detailed in Acess to the Region's Core), and then heads south and joins up with a brand new station built downtown that connects with the LIRR East River tunnel from Flatbush (as proposed to be built as part of the recently pushed LM development project). That way, both Metro-North and LIRR have acess to East Midtown, West Midtown and Downtown.

Of couse, I realize this is highly unlikely because it would probably be much too expensive -- but it would, if feasible, provide commuter rail acess to the entire Manhattan business district.

by roee

I don't seem to understand what's wrong with the system we have now? I mean, ok, the commuter rail gets you to the city, and then the subway system gets you to your office. Do you think if MNCR went to Downtown more people would rive Metro-North? I doubt it (I'm sure plenty of people would take it downtown, but it's not going to boost ridership). I can see with the LIRR coming into GCT as Penn is maxed out, and these would be different routes, i.e. the trains wouldn't go to GCT and then Penn.

by Fred G

I agree; I don't think it's worth it. Better to expand/improve the subway, i.e. the mythical 2nd Av Subway. Besides, a project of that magnitude might sink MN.

by LI Loco

Let me explain why through Metro-North and LIRR service is a desirable goal.

First, a one-seat ride would save each commuter up to 10 minutes each way, the time now consumed getting off a train at GCT or NYP and getting on a subway bound for Lower Manhattan. That's 1:40 per week or over 83 hours a week for someone working 50 weeks. The faster trip would encourage some, but not all, who drive to Lower Manhattan to give up their cars. Also, it would make Lower Manhattan a more attractive place to work for people who now reside in Westchester, Connecticut and Long Island.

Second, the one-seat ride reduces demand on the overtaxed subway system, particularly the Lexington and Seventh Ave. lines.

IMHO, best way to bring Metro-North and LIRR to Lower Manhattan is via West Side High Line. LIRR could connect from NYP. Hudson division has a straight shot down the river. Harlem and New Haven trains could reverse direction at MO Junction and then again by restoring the wye at Spuyten Duyvil. Between one and two miles of tunneling would be required to bring both LIRR and Metro North from Ganssevort St. (end of High Line) to Lower Manhattan. Probably a lot cheaper than a new tunnel under East River for LIRR train to JFK.

by DutchRailnut

keep dreaming first west side high line is gone kaput no more.
second it was just declassified as RR right off way and given to city or citizens.
The High line remains are way to short to be usefull.
MNCR and LIRR are not set up to be in competition to a subway who would service the area better with more stops.