Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Terrapin Station

I went down to GCT today, June 29, and saw the ACMU-1100's still in service. Click the thumbnail to view the photos I took today.

by Sean W.

The ACMUs are still alive and kicking on the Harlem Line (as at June 30th) . Thankfully I too got my chance to have a ride on one just before they face the boot.

What I don't get is this - why scrap them? ON the train I was on, the A/C was great, the ride smooth and fast and the train was in relatively good shape. I can't see the logic in offloading them.

BTW I was going to take a photo of it in GCT, but some creewman told me I needed "permission" from the stationmaster. Funny, I specifically remember emailing MN customer service and being told that no such stipulations exist. Maybe things have changed. Kinda put a damper on my day though. (You guys might remember me, I posted as "JC Denton" on the old forum system, and "Sean" on the very old forums. I'm the guy that goes on MN photo expeditions every summer).

Anyways, I was the one that never got hassled no matter how conspicuous I was. Today that changed. After spending the whole day listening to "you cant be taking pictures of equipment," "where are you going?" and are you OKs, I've started to get the everyones-looking-at-me phobia. I dont think I'll be doing much more of this.

Got some photos though, will post them at some time.

by DutchRailnut

The ACMU's do not comply with current regulations for cabs/ditchlights, and are running on a FRA waiver, the ditch lights are not only required for crossings buyt must be on for roadway worker protection at all times. They need to be replaced for several other reasons, including the manual doors. some people still don't get it that you can't walk of moving trains. several lawsuits made these cars a huge liability.
And as far as picture taking in GCT, public property is not the same as a public acces area, and as I have stated before there are signes out there that prohibit being in or taking pictures beyond the platform gates. in GCT your in a public acces area, not on public property. how strict its enforced is inmaterial, but I would not let a Conductor tell me if I can take pictures or not, let them call police and politely talk it out with them.

by njt4172

So what will be the last day for these dinosaurs??? Early July, mid or end of July???

Steve

by Otto Vondrak

Currently no photo policy exists on Metro-North- as long as you do not use flash, set up a tripod, or otherwise block traffic or make a nusiance of yourself. Do not let anyone tell you that photography is prohibited.

There is no set date when the ACMU's will leave service as far as I know.

-otto-

by njt4172

THANK THE LORD FOR METRO-NORTH!!!!
:D :D :D :D

NO THANKS TO NJT!!!
:( :( :( :(
  by Terrapin Station

Sean W. wrote:BTW I was going to take a photo of it in GCT, but some creewman told me I needed "permission" from the stationmaster. Funny, I specifically remember emailing MN customer service and being told that no such stipulations exist. Maybe things have changed. Kinda put a damper on my day though.

Anyways, I was the one that never got hassled no matter how conspicuous I was. Today that changed. After spending the whole day listening to "you cant be taking pictures of equipment," "where are you going?" and are you OKs, I've started to get the everyones-looking-at-me phobia. I dont think I'll be doing much more of this.

Got some photos though, will post them at some time.
I've never actually been harassed at GCT for taking photos, but I am wary of all of the MNR people just standing around the track areas. I don't like taking pics when they are all watching me. Luckily when I happened upon the ACMU set earlier this week, the coast was clear of MNR folks. The only MNR employee looking at me was the conductor of the ACMU train.

IIRC, there are signs on the lower level just past the gates that say the area is only for ticketed passengers or something. But it doesn't mention photos. I was wondering around down there once and two policeman with a police dog came up to me as soon as I walked through the gate and they kicked me outta there. So now I stick to the upper level.

I'd love to see your photos.
  by Sean W.

Terrapin Station wrote: I've never actually been harassed at GCT for taking photos, but I am wary of all of the MNR people just standing around the track areas. I don't like taking pics when they are all watching me. Luckily when I happened upon the ACMU set earlier this week, the coast was clear of MNR folks. The only MNR employee looking at me was the conductor of the ACMU train.

IIRC, there are signs on the lower level just past the gates that say the area is only for ticketed passengers or something. But it doesn't mention photos. I was wondering around down there once and two policeman with a police dog came up to me as soon as I walked through the gate and they kicked me outta there. So now I stick to the upper level.

I'd love to see your photos.
You have not but another railfan, Neil Feldman I believe, was, with the police 'n all. My problems were not as bad. As a previous poster said "let 'em call the cops" well, I did not see the need, as I was not feeling confrontational. Better luck next time.

On the other hand, the guy did say I needed some kind of "permission" from the stationmaster. I wonder what (s)he would have to say/do about that.

As for my photos, like I said I didn't get much, all MU photos and some GCT perspectives. I still have film left in the camera!!! So I have to use that first ...

I'll post what I got at some point, when I'll hopefully have some better stuff to go with 'em.

I'm still gonna be a Metro Nort railfan, just not a photographer at GCT and maybe a bit more discreet.

And as for the ACMUs, based on my ride I'd say they were some of the best, nicest gear on the RR, and worth the cost of a few retrofits. They weren't just a piece of history, they were comfortable, smooth and fast, and somewhat similar in appearance (internally and externally) to the Shoreliners.

- Adieu

by Otto Vondrak

re: photography in the terminal

Unless you are using a flash and very fast film (400 speed or better), even with digital, photography inside the terminal is difficult. If you aren't using a flash, you need to set up a tripod and take a time exposure. Flashes are a nuisance. Tripods are a nuisance. Your best bet is to visit the terminal on a weekend, find a quiet platform somewhere that has the train you want to shoot, and take your pictures there where you wont be in anyone's way.

As far as ACMU retirement, I dont think any set date is in place. As soon as enough M-7's are on the property to cover all the schedules, the ACMU's will most likely be sidelined.

-otto-

by KFRG

We should make a list of all trains still active ACMU's and keep that updated. Anyone care to begin? Still wanting to make my trip...

-Tom

by mncommuter

I took the 5:54pm from GCT to Croton-Harmon today, and it was an ACMU.

by M1 9147

Boy Sean, you haven't forgotten me in what happened to me last year, and good to hear from you again. Lately when I go to GCT, I haven't been taking photos, but stopping for coffee. But hopefully one of the MN employees I know will be a buffer to which I will have no problem in August when I go there for photos, and keep my fingers crossed. Now this crap with the subways will be a huge problem if the MTA passes this law. And hopefully it won't pass with all this publicity going on. Now if it does pass, my aunt who is a judge in Brooklyn used to be a lawyer for NYCTA a long time ago, and still has some ties with them, so crudentials will hopefully surpass if this happens.

by Terminal Proceed

I can tell you that if you do a lot of photos (tripod or big clunky 35 mm cameras) in the terminals beyond the gates, there is a 99% chance you are gonna get hassled.

All employees have been told to watch out for & report ALL people photographing the equipment. I guarantee you will get hassled because the railroad personnel will in all likelihood call the MTA police.

by Robert Paniagua

So, what's the current status on the ACMUs? How mane are still on the road as of this AM?

by KFRG

Well im planning on doing it this Monday, I would like to get on any AM or very early PM (noon) trains if that's possible, since I have to pick up my parents at JFK by 6. I remember someone saying there was an AM northbound I believe was on the Harlem Line. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks,
-Tom