• Tracks 10, 11, and 12 at North Station filled in...

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by mxdata

Like Hillary Clinton said just the other day.....

"We are going to take some things away from you for your own good".

Of course THEY get to decide what is good for US.

by 498

They will probably end up covering over a portion of each of the other tracks too, to make room for the press pavilion. The trains will likely be loading and unloading much farther down the platforms. The generators are probably there because the local electrical distribution is "taxed" to the limit (like that use of words?). You can't have the television coverage go dark right at the height of the convention lovefest, if that happened there would be a political witchhunt like nothing you have ever seen before.

by Ron Newman

Track 8 is still in use, even though it's shortened. The Downeaster was on it a half hour ago.

I don't understand why the shortened platform of Track 9 can't still be used.

by caduceus

Ron Newman wrote:I don't understand why the shortened platform of Track 9 can't still be used.
The platform for 9 and 10 is in use for the construction. It's inside the "area" being cordoned off for whatever it is being used for.

by sery2831

I am begining to think the generators are for the private cars that will be staged outside the building along the platforms. If you look, they built a walkway above the tracks and they could run the cables down to each track... But it could be just a short cut to the other side of the station... Cause I think all the cars that are coming have there own generators, but how can they fuel them???

by Ron Newman

Lots of media trailers are now parked in the Spaulding Rehab Hospital parking lot, between Nashua Street and the tracks. There's a temporary wooden stairway connecting this parking lot to the (covered-over) track area. I was tempted to climb it last night and look around further, but thought better of it.

It appears that Big Dig demolition has entirely ceased in the FleetCenter neighborhood. Plenty of steel frame and support for the old I-93 ramp still needs to be removed over track 1 and 8-12, but probably won't be until after the DNC.

by Ron Newman

The track 9-12 area near the FleetCenter is now occupied by tents.

by Ron Newman

The temporary boarding-over has been removed from tracks 8 and 9, but track 9 was still out of service when I used the station this morning, because there's still lots of debris on the 9/10 platform.

They haven't started removing the temporary boarding-over from 10, 11, and 12 yet.

by Ron Newman

They've finished removing all of the temporary boarded-over platforms and put back all the signs they took down for the DNC. Track 9 was back in service last night. Track 10 wasn't yet, because there was still a generator car parked on it.

Now if they can just finish removing the steel skeletal remains of the I-93 ramp that are still hanging over tracks 1 and 8-12 ....

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

it sure is taking them a while to remove that

by Ron Newman

They can work on removing the elevated roadway only when trains are not running -- so only between midnight and 5 am.

by sery2831

All 10 tracks are back to normal! :-)

by Ron Newman

Yep, some time during the day yesterday, the generator cars finally disappeared from Track 10. Anyone know where they originally came from, and where they went to?

I think this was the very last step in getting the T back to normal after the DNC.

(By the way, the temporary press pavilion and its temporary foundation have now been entirely removed from the former Boston Garden site on Causeway Street.)

by Stephen

The GE generators were on the far side of the BET this morning. GRS will take them north at some point.

by Ron Newman

The remains of the highway above tracks 8-12 have finally been removed. But it's still hanging over track 1, complete with a blue sign that reads
On the Job
Building the Nineties

Commonwealth of Massachusetts