• PPP (Public Private Partnership)

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by helium

I've been reading a lot over the last few years about TfL and London Underground's Public Private Partnership.
While there have been one or two snags, most projects have come in under time and budget and the Tube seems to be actually accomplishing refurbishments, extensions, etc. that the T seems to not do at all.

Think a similar program would work here?

More info here:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/about/abt-ppp-whatis.shtml

by octr202

Its hard to say exactly what they're doing over there. It sounds to me like government (TfL) is leasing the infrastructure to the companies, or is it the other way around? It'd be interesting to see how exactly this creates a benefit. It still costs money to maintain track, tunnels, and trains no matter who pays for it -- not sure how these companies are going to do it without government subsidy.

I also can't imagine the idea of selling/leasing public property like the MBTA system to a private company going over well here in Mass., especially not ones that like to include firms with names like Bechtel.

by helium

I think that's the general idea, and if I've read correctly, the guy who cleaned up the NYC subway is in charge.

I guess first off, you wouldn't EVER let Bechtel run anything, though MA lowest bidder law let them rehab the Red Line tunnels, which is just amazing to me considering their hack job on the Big Dig, but I digress.

Somehow the 3 external companies are making a profit, otherwise they wouldn't bother, and the lines keep getting better, according to the TfL site, so something is working.

by helium

!

I guess the British aren't smart either! Look at this:

"The JNP (Jubilee, Northern & Piccadilly Lines) Infraco has been transferred to Tube Lines, a private sector consortium of Bechtel and Amey."

And here's the evidence of Bechtel's hackness, if that is indeed a word:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... _n16640033

by Otto Vondrak

This might be better suited for the commuter General Discussion...

-otto-