• Alcos get new lease on life thanks to GE

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

by MEC407

Some of the GE haters on this board might be interested to know that some African Alcos are getting a new lease on life, thanks to GE's BrightStar Locomotive Modernization System:

http://www.miningweekly.co.za/min/news/ ... show=94431

:wink:

by Alcoman

This is most interesting. We can only hope that the NYSW Alcos get upgraded this way

by pablo

I read the article. Is there ayone that has an understanding of what this program entails?

John is probably right on here: after all, GE had ALCOs (has, I understand? one left? maybe?) on site and did some upgrades to them there. And obviously, we know the Cartier's were upgraded.

Anyone help out with the details?

Dave Becker

by Steve F45

Alcoman wrote:This is most interesting. We can only hope that the NYSW Alcos get upgraded this way
I thought they were upgrading 1 unit as a test dummy to see if it was going to work? or was this a completely different computer system?