Railroad Forums 

• Alcos get new lease on life thanks to GE

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#306050  by MEC407

Some of the GE haters on this board might be interested to know that some African Alcos are getting a new lease on life, thanks to GE's BrightStar Locomotive Modernization System:

http://www.miningweekly.co.za/min/news/ ... show=94431

:wink:

#306121  by Alcoman

This is most interesting. We can only hope that the NYSW Alcos get upgraded this way

#306139  by pablo

I read the article. Is there ayone that has an understanding of what this program entails?

John is probably right on here: after all, GE had ALCOs (has, I understand? one left? maybe?) on site and did some upgrades to them there. And obviously, we know the Cartier's were upgraded.

Anyone help out with the details?

Dave Becker

#312863  by Steve F45

Alcoman wrote:This is most interesting. We can only hope that the NYSW Alcos get upgraded this way
I thought they were upgrading 1 unit as a test dummy to see if it was going to work? or was this a completely different computer system?