• Tracks 10, 11, and 12 at North Station filled in...

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by caduceus

I noticed inbound today that Track 10 at North was barricaded on the track, but didn't notice until leaving tonight that the Track 10 and 11 pit, as well as the Track 12 pit, are being filled in, at least temporarily, with a platform (like would be used for a temporary stage), for what looks like the whole length up to the end of the Fleet Center. I'm sure its DNC related, but I don't know what for.

11 and 12 will probably never be used again, but we've lost 10. But since they can't seem to get the trains in on time I guess it doesn't matter... :)

by Ron Newman

I don't think we've totally lost 10, just shortened it. Often the trains stop well short of the track end anyway. It's got to be temporary for the DNC.

by sery2831

We have lost track 10, there are two flat cars with generators sitting outside the building on track 10. Rumor has it they are going to fill in 9 and 8 shortly!!!

by Ron Newman

Flat cars -- hmm, could they be there to catch debris from Big Dig demolition directly overhead?

by caduceus

Um...no, as sery2831 said, they have generators on them. I don't think you want debris falling on them :) And as I said, the "barricade" sign is blocking entrance to 10.

Most of the Fitchburg trains arrive/depart on 10, and pull all the way in. 9 and 10 are the longest platforms.

They've already erected a semi-permanent "party tent" in the old parking lot - now they're taking the tracks too...

Fill in 8 and 9 when we can't use North Station. Don't screw us even more than we already will be...
  by GP40MC1118

Track 10 is out of service until after the DNC. Guilford's BO-1 local
brought down the two flatcars with generators from Ayer Wednesday.
We'll probably lose Track 9 soon.

I see on the noon news programs, they finally dropped the news
that North Station is closing after the evening rush hour July 23rd.
Surprise! So much for the tourists looking to go to out the Rockport
and Newburyport lines. Also, I think the Lowell Folk Festival is that
weekend, which represented significant ridership from Boston.

But according to Terry & DNC, we are going to have a wonderful
week of fun.

D

by caduceus

And I just saw on UPN38 news, the "tent" (just a term I used, but it is a hard canopy) is the "press pavilion". They said it has smoked glass windows, stairs, and an elevator, while they showed the roof still on the ground. When I left today, the roof was up, but there were no walls, and it was only one level... :)

by ST214

Can't they wait ti'll the end of service on the 23rd??? I will be in Boston on July 23rd. Always go to Boston on July 23rd(My Birthday). Hmmm, maybe i'll go in from Worcester????

by Ron Newman

If you're coming from Leominster that evening, just transfer to the Red Line at Porter Square. You'll still get to Boston just fine.

You might not even have to do that -- North Station isn't supposed to shut down until 8 pm.

by Ron Newman

This morning, workers are starting to fill in ttracks 8 and 9 under the FleetCenter. MBCR will probably continue to used the shortened platforms; there was a train sitting on the open-air part of track 8.

by sery2831

Well we lost track 10 and 9 totally, but we have half of 8. More tracks to go soon??

by BC Eagle

Does anyone know yet what exactly the purpose of all this is for?

Other than "For the DNC" which seems to be the answer to everything these days :-)

by Ron Newman

I believe it's the same as the tent being erected in front of the FleetCenter -- to provide a working area for media covering the DNC.

by Ron Newman

9 and 8 are being filled in to the exact same point, so if we can still use 8, we should still be able to use 9.

by sery2831

We lost 9 because we cant use the platform between the lobby and the outside of the building...