• making up lost time

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by kiha40

Hello all,

I got on a train last night at Osaka station which was running 3 minutes late (at Osaka, anyway). By the time it got to Kyoto, I think he was on time again. You can have a look at times and distances below.

Osaka 20:45 departure
3.8km
Shin-Osaka 20:48 arrival 20:49 departure
17.4km
Takatsuki 21:01 arrival 21:02 departure
21.6km
Kyoto 21:14 arrival

So, my question is, with a timetable that doesn't leave much room for error (for example, this train's top speed is 130km/h, which it reaches normally between Osaka and Kyoto--the motorman's got nothing more), how much time can be made up? Are schedules made up with this in mind?

Thanks!
  by keotaman

Excerpt:
kiha40 wrote: ... how much time can be made up? Are schedules made up with this in mind? ...
Can't make up time; once gone, gone forever. However, most schedules DO have a small amount of "recovery time" built in. The times when you are standing still in the station have most to do with your "on time" performance. If the station dwell time is too long, you may never recover to your scheduled times.

Your example does not show seconds, so I can't comment on the times shown. Also, any temporary speed restrictions or work zones involved?

I understand that "honor" is deeply involved in the oriental view of staying on the schedule -- has been the cause of train mishaps in the past. I suspect lots of people put far too much importance on "on time performance!"