Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Ken V

For a brief history:

In the days before VIA, the two transcontinentals remaining were CPR's Canadian and CN's Super Continental. After VIA took over operations there were several variations on these two services, which changed so often, it's hard to keep track. Finally, with the 1990 restructuring (aka cutbacks), the name "Canadian" was applied to the route of what had been called the Super Contintental just before that.
  by jp1822

What was the final year of operation like in the West before the massive cuts came - was it a combined train to Winnipeg and then a split at Winnipeg with one section heading to Vancouver via Jasper (CN Route) and the other via Banff (CP Route)? Was this daily?

At one time wasn't VIA operating the Toronto to Vancouver on essentially the CN or CP route on like an every other day schedule?

by George L.

Gotta love "restructuring"! I'm wondering though – on the other forum they talk about Calgary service. Were there any other changes to the route? I guess it wouldn't really matter because the train still goes everywhere I'd want to go if I were to take a Canadian Rockies vacation across the continent – but then again maybe I'm being ignorant! :P
Which reminds me – does anyone know of anyone who has done the whole Canada train trip thing? I think I'm about to do it, but I was wondering about certain aspects of the trip, like how long to plan to be in certain places and such...
  by jp1822

VIA was close to re-establishing service on the Calgary-Banff-Lake Louise-Vancouver routing (CP route) a few years ago, and then Rocky Mountaineer officials pulled their political strings and the service was not to be.

VIA could certainly provide a different rail service than Rocky Mountaineer on this route - i.e. year round service and service that serves the local communities, as opposed to just tourists going all the way from Vancouver to Calgary/Banff (skipping all intermediate stops, where VIA could stop). Rocky Mountaineer runs in day time to allow tourist to see thie route in daylight. VIA would be operating in daylight and overnight. Even if VIA operated in the off season when Rocky Mountaineer is not operating. You'd get the ski and winter tourist traffic, plus the local traffic.

I find it interesting that Rocky Mountaineer has now invaded the VIA's Skeena route between Jasper and Prince George. The Skeena cut its fourth day peak season trip on this route, reverting back to the thrice weekly schedule.

The VIA Rail Canadian experience from Toronto to Vancouver is an amazing experience. Lots of communities to get off of on the way. But, the CP routing of the Canadian offered even more places to stop and get off at to explore, if you ask me.
  by Don H

George L-

I did the Toronto-Vancouver trip about 4 years ago. Totally enjoyed myself but then I like being in the train. It was part of a round trip across the continent, westbound in Canada, eastbound in the US. As far as places to stop I didn't, really. Since the Canadian was part of a larger itinerary I didn't take the opporunity to spend time at any intermediary stops. The train dwells at Sioux Lookout, Winnipeg, and Jasper for an hour or two so you can get out there and move around a bit. I can report the ride was excellent and the accomodations fine as well. (I had a single room.) The food was good and I met many interesting people on board. Three days on the train will give you a lot of time to socialize!

Don.

by George L.

That's too bad, Don. You'll have to make some stops on your next trip through - the Canadian Rockies are even better close up! :wink:
  by Don H

George -
I don't think I missed much this time around. I had been to all of the major stops at least once already, except Saskatoon. My real point was to take a vacation totally on the train (and get a salmon Wellington at The Cannery in Vancouver). If they change the route back to the CP line I'll be doing it again. I think the Rockies are far more spectacular down south near Banff, but Jasper felt so much bigger than I remembered it from years past. Otherwise, next time it's the Maritimes for me. I've been out there before but never on the train. I'd like to ride the Renaissance equipment just to see what it's like.

Don

by George L.

Ah - Now I get it :-D
I couldn't understand how you managed to take the train through the Rockies and not get off! The Maritimes are spectacular - and the people are so friendly. You'll really enjoy your visit - and the Easterly class experience is wonderful (especially the food!) You'll let me know how it goes.

As for me, I am on my way to NYC this weekend. My first experience with Amtrak! Have any tips for me?
  by Don H

George -

I hope you are on the Adirondack service. The scenery of the upper Hudson Valley is pretty spectacular, and there was at one time a volunteer group that gave presentations of local interest and sights in the club car of the train. The water level route from Toronto (Maple Leaf via Buffalo) is considerably less interesting until Albany when the train starts to run south along the Hudson. Both are long rides and I would bump to business class if you haven't already. Empire Service does have some issues with their onboard food concession; they tend to run out of provisions for some reason. You might want to pack something that travels well for a munchie.

While in NYC be sure to treat yourself to Grand Central Terminal. Since it's restoration it's quite a place to see, what so many stations looked like at one time. There are also many fine places to eat in the station as well, none cheap but what is in NYC?

Have a good time,
Don.