Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by MadManMoon

Scary experience today on Vancouver Island!

I took the ferry out this morning to ride the Malahat from Nanaimo to Courtenay and back - didn't want to miss the opportunity to ride RDCs. The ride was uneventful until we returned to Nanaimo this afternoon. Just after the departing passengers got off, I noticed black smoke coming from the rear engine of RDC 6148. I pointed it out to the conductor, who immediately evacuated both cars. The smoke got worse, and flames started shooting out of one side. Everyone ran to the far side of the depot.

Someone called the Nanaimo Fire Department, who arrived on-scene within 5 minutes. The fire was out within a few minutes, with visible damage limited to the one engine compartment. After some deliberations, it was decided to continue on (after spending 1 hour at Nanaimo) with all passengers riding in the undamaged lead car (6135) and towing the now-dead 6148.

Luckily, no one was hurt, and the conductor and engineer (didn't catch their names) did a fantastic job of maintaining order and keeping control of the situation.

I'd post pictures, but I don't have a webhost - if someone can host 'em, I can send 'em to you to be linked here.

A decidedly more exciting day than I'd planned! I'm interested to see if it makes the news tomorrow.

Drew

by ENR3870

Geez, it always seems around this time of year they loose the 6148. Thank God no one was hurt.

RDC

by jp1822

Does VIA have any backup RDC's to fall back on these days? On a recent trip on the Canadian, I noticed a lone RDC parked on a Vancouver Yard side track. Course it looked out of service, with some graffitti on the side and all. Wouldn't be surprised if it was being used for parts.

I can remembering seeing the line of VIA RDC's ona side track near the Halifax Nova Scotia station just after the 1990s cut in service. I am sure most of these units I saw were sold off or scrapped by now. Are there any RDC's in the Montreal or Toronto Maintenance Facility shops?
  by ENR3870

jp1822 wrote:Does VIA have any backup RDC's to fall back on these days? On a recent trip on the Canadian, I noticed a lone RDC parked on a Vancouver Yard side track. Course it looked out of service, with some graffitti on the side and all. Wouldn't be surprised if it was being used for parts.

I can remembering seeing the line of VIA RDC's ona side track near the Halifax Nova Scotia station just after the 1990s cut in service. I am sure most of these units I saw were sold off or scrapped by now. Are there any RDC's in the Montreal or Toronto Maintenance Facility shops?
VIA has 3 cars in Victoria, however they just sent the third car, 6133 over to the mainland for some work, possibly a rebuild. They hauled the 6133 out of Victoria the day before 6148 suffered the engine fire.

by downbeat

Someone over on RailPictures.net took a shot of 6133 in Vancouver.
(Pop-up warning!)
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=152570