• Bikes on the Subway?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by l008com

Can you bring bikes on the green line? I know most of the day you can barely fit a human on a green line trolley, but what about at night? I'd would be so much easier than driving, if I could just hope on the green line to get to the fenway dirt jumps!
Last edited by l008com on Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Robert Paniagua

Nope, bikes on the Green Line are strictly.......OUT. Forbidden due to space restrictions as well as public safety concerns, so that's why bikes are banned on streetcars, not certain buses though.

by l008com

What about the other subway lines? Not that the others really help me anyway but just curious.

by AznSumtinSumtin

Bikes are allowed on all heavy rail(red, blue, and orange) during non rush hour times only. Bikes are allowed on buses that have bike racks. Some of the Charlestown and Albany buses have bike racks. The Albany buses that have bike racks are used ONLY on CT1, CT2, and CT3 routes. The super-ultra, mega rare folding bikes are allowed everywhere on the MBTA.

by l008com

Hmmm so I could theoretically pedal down to oak grove at night, hop on the orange with my bike and head into boston for $1.25 . . .

Is this easy to do? By easy I mean, do employees give you crap for trying to get into subway stations with a bike?

by The Collector at Court St

No one should hassle you. No bikes between 7a - 10a and 4p - 7p on weekdays. No more than 2 bikes per car. If the train is crowded, wait for the next one. No bikes anytime at Park and Government Center. Downtown Crossing can only be used to change lines, can't go to the street.

Most holidays are no bikes anytime due to crowding, as well as major events and games at the Garden.

by Ron Newman

I've exited the Red Line with a bike at Downtown Crossing. Not really a problem if you don't mind carrying it up stairs.

I've also exited the Blue Line at Government Center, but I don't recommend it, because you are two levels below ground. Better to exit at State where you are only one level down.

No bikes on the Green Line ever. I think they should consider allowing them on the D branch since it goes out to the suburbs.

by l008com

Regarding that 'two bikes per car' limit, is that just a limit they invented, or are there spots on the orange line cars for the bikes to go, and can you really only fit two in? Also, if I was heading into boston at like 9ish and heading out at ooooooh midnight ish, they trains would probably be pretty empty, right? Would the two bike per train thing really be an issue if there were a small group of us on bikes?

by The Collector at Court St

You implied that you didn't want any "crap" from employees. 2 bikes per car with one at each end, exception for parents with young kids. A bunch of bikes on one car will get the attention of an employee, who may call a T cop, who may tell you that if you're on the system again that night, he will consider it trespassing, etc.

Or you may get on a train where nobody notices or cares, like Ron did going through Government Center. I've seen bicyclist put back on the train there to exit at State or Aquarium.

by MTD

Ron Newman wrote:No bikes on the Green Line ever. I think they should consider allowing them on the D branch since it goes out to the suburbs.
As Robert said, its because of passenger safety concerns and all the Green Line trains' space restrictions that you will never see a bike inside these cars. Over the years, I've personally seen bicyclists try to sneak it in without much success.

by StevieC48

I have seen an operator make an EXCEPTION once or twice. If they are cute LOL. But they will have the bike go to the area where a wheelchair would sit. And no one seems to mind and it is out of the way. Even though it ia a violation of the SURFACE RAILS book.

by -Garrett

StevieC48 wrote:I have seen an operator make an EXCEPTION once or twice. If they are cute LOL. But they will have the bike go to the area where a wheelchair would sit. And no one seems to mind and it is out of the way. Even though it ia a violation of the SURFACE RAILS book.
Isn't it interesting that in the face of everything else, the MBTA doesn't even attempt to make the system more bike friendly, even while cities like San Diego have bike racks in front of every public bus.

And yet, Boston considers itself a progressive city, does it not? You'd think the T could think about bikes when making Green Line purchases...

by AznSumtinSumtin

The MBTA is currently adding bike racks to 400 of its buses. They're starting with the Charlestown Garage. It is currently unknown which bus garage will be next to install bike racks on its buses. If the bike racks become popular, the MBTA may order more for all of its buses. If that's not progress, I don't know what is. Bikes would not fit on the Green Line. It's too crowded.

by octr202

AznSumtinSumtin wrote:The MBTA is currently adding bike racks to 400 of its buses. They're starting with the Charlestown Garage. It is currently unknown which bus garage will be next to install bike racks on its buses. If the bike racks become popular, the MBTA may order more for all of its buses. If that's not progress, I don't know what is. Bikes would not fit on the Green Line. It's too crowded.
It is progress, even if it is years after most other cities started it. Even SEPTA had bike racks years ago system-wide. :wink:

On a semi-related note, for the first time, I saw a bike in the rack on a CT2 bus last week. Three years in Kendall Sq. and that's the first time I ever saw one used.

by scoopernicus_in_Maine

The MBTA is currently adding bike racks to 400 of its buses. They're starting with the Charlestown Garage. It is currently unknown which bus garage will be next to install bike racks on its buses. If the bike racks become popular, the MBTA may order more for all of its buses. If that's not progress, I don't know what is. Bikes would not fit on the Green Line. It's too crowded.

It is progress, even if it is years after most other cities started it. Even SEPTA had bike racks years ago system-wide.
Make a note; Add bike racks to the specs for the type 9's!