Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by viafan

The first Ocean, I believe, ran the distance between Halifax and Montreal on 03-04 July, 1904.
Other than the discounts I have not heard of any other celebration plans to date.
coming out of Montreal on July 03 you will be aboard the new renaissance equipment.
  by downbeat

The link includes a picture of dignataries posing in front of a Park car.
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/arch ... c0312.html
Via Rail wrote:HALIFAX, July 3 /CNW Telbec/ - This year, VIA Rail Canada marks the 100th Anniversary of the Ocean, the longest-running regularly scheduled and named passenger train in North American history. To commemorate the occasion, VIA Rail hosted celebrations throughout Nova Scotia and New Brunswick on Saturday, July 3, 2004. The celebrations commenced in Halifax where several special guests including Her Honour, The Honourable Myra A. Freeman Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia and His Honour Lawrence A. Freeman, Halifax Mayor Peter Kelly, Barbara Kane, member of VIA's Board and Keith Moulton, VIA's Regional Director , Eastern Services attended the event.
One hundred years ago, on July 3rd 1904, the Ocean made its inaugural run between Montreal and Halifax. The train, which was christened through a public contest, began as a summer supplement to the Intercolonial Railway's Maritime Express. The rail link it traveled on had been completed in 1876 as a condition of Confederation. Today, the Ocean still travels the same 1346 kilometers of tracks along the St. Lawrence, through the Matapedia valley, linking the cities of Campbellton, Moncton, Truro and Halifax, with central and western Canada.
First operated by the Intercolonial Railway, the Ocean became part of Canadian National's network in 1919 and changed hands again in 1978 when VIA was formed. During its 100 years of service, it has not only remained a vital link but a source of pride and progress for communities along its route. And it has played a crucial role during the two World Wars, transporting troops to the Port of Halifax and bringing them home victorious.
The Ocean has also often served as a flagship for new railway equipment and technology throughout its history. Through the years, renovations and new equipment transformed the train from one with Victorian-style wooden cars pulled by a 10-wheeler steam locomotive, to a bed and breakfast on wheels.
"As the Ocean celebrates one hundred years of Maritime travel this summer, the train seems destined to continue on as an important link between the eastern provinces and central Canada well into the new century", said Keith Moulton, VIA's Regional Director, Eastern Services.
On July 15, 2004, as part of a five-year capital investment program, the sprightly hundred-year-old Ocean will make its inaugural run as Canada's newest train. The modern Renaissance equipment includes spacious coach cars, sleeping cars featuring bedrooms with individual showers, service cars with a lounge area and a brand new dining car designed specifically for the Ocean.
  by NS VIA FAN

The third Renaissance set was ready to enter service this week replacing the one remaining Budd set on the Ocean but just yesterday (July 10) VIA announced that the Budd set will remain in service until this fall.

The Ocean has been selling out at lot this summer and the cars from the third Ren set will now be used to increase the capacity of Ren sets 1 & 2.

Don’t know if the complete set will be “set-out” in Moncton as was done in the past with several Budd sleepers to be picked up later in the day by the westbound Ocean or the cars will be split between sets 1 & 2.

by downbeat

According to reports elsewhere, the cars from the third Renaissance set have been "permanently" split among the existing set. Via #14 that arrived in Halifax Tuesday had a baggage car, four coaches, three service cars, a dining car and seven sleepers. Three cars behind (not normally part of the consist) was a baggage car and two private cars.
Also, if you refer to the Via Web site that gives details about meals searved on board the train, you'll notice that the HEP sets will be used at least until the end of December 2004.
http://www.viarail.ca/menu_repas/ocean-index.html
BTW, there are completely new menus for the Renaissance equipment.
  by NS VIA FAN

Here’s the consists of the 2 Renaissance equipped Oceans that met just west of Truro, NS, this afternoon: Sept. 5, 2004.

Ocean #15 w/b Halifax to Montreal
6416 F40
6406 F40 (Spiderman)
7003 Baggage
7228 Coach
7225 Coach
7231 Coach
7217 Coach
7315 Service/Lounge
7400 Dining Car
7313 Service/Lounge
7521 Sleeper
7517 Sleeper
7522 Sleeper
7508 Sleeper
7308 Service/Lounge
7524 Sleeper
7510 Sleeper
7504 Sleeper

Ocean #14 e/b Montreal to Halifax
6403 F40 (CBC Anniversary)
6421 F40
7011 Baggage
7223 Coach
7222 Coach
7208 Coach
7232 Coach
7311 Service/Lounge
7402 Dining Car
7314 Service/Lounge
7500 Sleeper
7525 Sleeper
7519 Sleeper
7515 Sleeper
7309 Service/Lounge
7518 Sleeper
7523 Sleeper
7512 Sleeper

“Spiderman” and “CBC Anniversary” are specially painted locomotives

Coaches have 49 seats (2+1 style)

The Service/Lounge cars contain the Food Prep. Galley and must bracket the dining cars which have seating only, no Kitchens.

Sleeping Cars contain 10 Double Bedrooms (20 berths). Six are Deluxe with Showers in each room.

The third “Renaissance Ocean” consist was split between the other two to increase capacity so one set will remain “Budd” equipped for now.

by AmtrakFan

Did they get all the Handicappe Issue worked out?

AmtrakFan
  by jp1822

For some reason I had feared the sleeping car section was only going to have one Service/Lounge Car. It's nice that at least two are provided in the sleeping car section. Hope this remains. Anyone ridden on the Renaissance Ocean Equipment? Opinion?

The Ocean was my first experience on an overnight Canadian train and I thoroughly enjoyed the trip - mostly due to the 1950s era equipment, particularly the Diner, Dome and Park Car. I will miss the Park Car and Dome on the Ocean on my next trip I think! Going to try and make a trip to Halifax before the Budd trainset on the Ocean is totally replaced with Renaissance equipment. Have always enjoyed rail travel in Canada - the Canadian and Skeena especially!
  by viafan

I have had the opportunity to have several trips on the Renaissance equipment - I like it.

I usually am travelling by myself. On the Budd trainsets I am usually in a bedroom (roomette). Being rather big, the doors are small and toilets even smaller. Beds are roomier, though. In Renaissance equipment the beds are not as "soft" nor as wide, but the extra room is great and the toilet - great. Doors to corridor lock when you are out of the room - great feature. Somewhat extra price is very much worth it!

The service cars are really poor. It is my understanding that they may be re-configured in the near future so that there is more seating. The dining cars are excellent albeit rather spartan in decor. I have yet to have a poor meal but do miss the Nova Scotia Fish Chowder.

Harold Nicholson
  by NS VIA FAN

The new Queen Mary 2 docked at Halifax's Pier 21 Cruise Ship Terminal across from the VIA Station just as the w/b Ocean was ready to depart for Montreal. Sat Sept 25/04.

The QM2 is on its first visit to Halifax where the Cunard Line was founded in 1840.

Here's some pictures:

http://www.zippyimages.com/113531.html

http://www.zippyimages.com/113534.html

http://www.zippyimages.com/113536.html

http://www.zippyimages.com/113537.html

by marquisofmississauga

Thank you so much for posting these four photos. I travelled to Halifax aboard that consist of the Ocean for the purpose of videotaping the arrival of the Queen Mary 2. I shot most of the video from my harbour-view room in the former Canadian National (now Westin) Nova Scotian Hotel adjacent to the railway station.

The fourth photo of the ship heading south just off the downtown core is quite extraordinary as cruise ships don't normally go "up harbour" beyond Pier 21. The Queen Mary 2 made a magnificant tour of the harbour before tying up alongside Pier 21.

by hsr_fan

Wow, now that's a train! I didn't realize the consists were so long, and so heavily weighted toward sleepers. I wish we had real long distance trains like that here, instead of a couple of Viewliner sleepers and some Amcans for those who can't afford the high sleeper fares and/or don't make reservations several months in advance!

VIA also benefits from not having the excessively low 79 mph limit that we have here for routes not equipped with cab signals. Canada allows up to 100 mph with conventional lineside signals, correct?

I'd like to try out the "Renaissance" equipment sometime. I'd also like to take one of the LRC corridor trains between Montreal and Toronto.

by marquisofmississauga

hsr_fan wrote:Wow, now that's a train! I didn't realize the consists were so long, and so heavily weighted toward sleepers. I wish we had real long distance trains like that here, instead of a couple of Viewliner sleepers and some Amcans for those who can't afford the high sleeper fares and/or don't make reservations several months in advance!

VIA also benefits from not having the excessively low 79 mph limit that we have here for routes not equipped with cab signals. Canada allows up to 100 mph with conventional lineside signals, correct?

I'd like to try out the "Renaissance" equipment sometime. I'd also like to take one of the LRC corridor trains between Montreal and Toronto.

The longst "Ocean" I travelled on was about four years ago. There were 10 sleepers, all Budd equipment of course. The summer-season "Canadian" normally runs with 12 sleepers (plus a Park car) as a minimum. It is not unusual to see 15 or even more sleepers. The summer-length consist runs from about late April to early November, although the peak fares are from June 1st to Oct. 22nd.

The 100 mph speed limit applies only on portions of the Kingston sub. for certain Toronto-Montreal trains. Most F40s are geared for 90 mph, although a few were re-geared for 95. The P42s can easily reach 100. Most speed limits elsewhere are 80 at the most.

At the moment, Renaissance trains are running as follows: on the "Ocean" twice a week, usually all trains Montreal - Quebec, once a day Montreal - Ottawa and the overnight Montreal - Toronto "Enterprise." On that train, by the way, the use of a double room by one person is charged at the roomette rate. At the time the train was converted from Budd to Renaissance equipment, the fare for two in a regular double room was reduced, but the fare for two in a deluxe (with shower) double was the same as it was for a double on the old equipment. A deluxe room for one will carry a supplement of about $30.
  by jp1822

I came across an article in some magazine the other day that mentioned that Via was looking to restore some sort of reconfigured service/lounge car or try and put a dome/park Car back on the Ocean (destination Halifax). Is there any truth or action being taken on this?

I will certainly miss the dome in my next travel out to Halifax. Only Renaissance experience I had was on the Enterprise. I had a Deluxe double bedroom. The extra room in the bathroom was great for storing the suitcase! The beds could be more comfortable. But not sure how well I will like being in the confines of the Renaissance bedroom for the entire trip to Halifax on the Ocean. Being over 6 foot, it is hard for me to relax comfortably in the seats provided for in the service/lounge car.
  by marquisofmississauga

jp1822 wrote:I came across an article in some magazine the other day that mentioned that Via was looking to restore some sort of reconfigured service/lounge car or try and put a dome/park Car back on the Ocean (destination Halifax). Is there any truth or action being taken on this?

I will certainly miss the dome in my next travel out to Halifax. Only Renaissance experience I had was on the Enterprise. I had a Deluxe double bedroom. The extra room in the bathroom was great for storing the suitcase! The beds could be more comfortable. But not sure how well I will like being in the confines of the Renaissance bedroom for the entire trip to Halifax on the Ocean. Being over 6 foot, it is hard for me to relax comfortably in the seats provided for in the service/lounge car.
Last week I received a letter from VIA's Director of Eastern Services in response to my enquiry. VIA is indeed going to "re-seat" the lounge cars for the "Ocean" and it is intended to run a Park car on the Renaissance trains. The Park car will coincide with the introduction of a new class of sleeping car service on 1st June.

The basic sleeper service, to be called "Comfort Class Sleeper" will give accommodation as paid for and access to the dining car, in which meals will be paid for as is presently the case. The new "Easterly Class" will include breakfast and dinner and give access to the Park car. This two-tier first class service will apply to both the Renaissance and stainless steel consists. A check of fares on "Reservia" shows that the peak-season surcharge is only about $30 for the new "Easterly Class" over the "Comfort Class Sleeper." (This is not to be confused with "Comfort Class" which is VIA's new term for coach class.) The surcharge will be higher in the shoulder season (consisting of most of June and from mid-Sept. to end of Oct.) because there are no off-peak fares for the higher class service. Off-peak fares are available for the basic sleepers at this time, so the two meals and Park car access will carry a stiff price.

It takes three consists to provide the daily except Tuesday service of the "Ocean." Until mid-April, there is only one Renaissance consist, which means that four of the six round trips are made with the traditional equipment. From mid-April until at least the end of the year there will be two Renaissance trains; so there will still be two round trips a week with the Budd equipment.

Regarding your concerns on the Renaissance train, I don't think you will be confined to your bedroom for the entire trip to Halifax. I agree that the lounge seats are uncomfortable, but you can always stand for a while and have a drink in the area next to the seats. This is very European, so it seems suitable on this equipment. The riding quality of Renaissance is quite superior to the Budd equipment. I find it easier to stand in the Renaissance lounge than in the Park car, which can bounce something fierce on many stretches of track. You can also go to the Renaissance dining car for three meals.

David,
Mississauga, Canada

by chriskay

Wow, thanks for all of that great info concerning the Ocean! It's good to know that they're responding to customer concerns regarding the lack of sufficient lounge.

I have yet to travel the Ocean using the Renaissance equipment (I probably will later this winter), but I have travelled twice now in Constellation Class on the Enterprise (Mtl-Tor). My experience has been somewhat mixed. Check out my comments in this thread: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=.

-Chris