• Railfanning Denver, Colorado

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

by bwparker1

I'll be in Denver this week with plenty of time to fan as my wife will be at a conference most of the week. Satying in downtown at the Adam's Mark.
Can anyone tell me about operations in the Denver area, locations that are safe and legal to watch trains from, areas of highest activity, yards, and any websites that could serve as a reference material.

Thanks in advance,

BWP

by BlockLine_4111

There is a small operable gas propelled tourist trolley and caboose display at REI sporting goods (the 'mothership store') near/off Speer.

http://www.rei.com/

You could probably clip some photos of the BNSF trains between REI and Union Station area. Lots of coal traffic here plus an Amtrak train too.

http://www.denverunionstation.org
http://www.amtrak.com/images/maps/californiazephyr.htm

Try riding the light rail as it cruises through many of the UP & BNSF locations & yards. Good photo spots at the light rail stations of BIG freights.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/LightRail

Maybe a small trek up 36/287 to Broomfield on the BNSF Front Range Sub. to catch freights in the 'hole' of siding awaiting orders and movements.

I'm sure there are other hot spots i missed.

There should be a TON of activity at the location where the Moffat Line connects to the "Joint Line" w/BNSF and UP coal movements from the west and empties going back.
Last edited by BlockLine_4111 on Sun May 28, 2006 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by TB Diamond

Try the 23rd Street overpass. BNSF's 38th. St. yard can be observed as well as the 23rd St. engine service facility.

by caboose9

TB Diamond wrote, "Try the 23rd Street overpass."

Consider setting aside a couple of hours to visit the Colorado Railroad Museum, Golden. It's well worth the time!

Roger

by bwparker1

Thanks Roger, but I have actually been to the museum in Golden, (Visited on the last trip) so I am interested in the real deal this time, no more static displays!!

Cheers,
Brooks
Last edited by bwparker1 on Mon May 29, 2006 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by BlockLine_4111

bwparker1 wrote:Thanks Roger, but I have actually been to the museum in Golden, (Visited on the last trip) so I am interested in the real deal this time, no moer static displays!!
Cheers,
Brooks
Real deal as in "BIG FREIGHT" as the Rockies shows east coasters how to move very heavy, long trains on grade laden routes using widecabs in DP mode upstream, midstream, and downsteam as needed in the consist.

also see
http://www.drgw.net/info/

by bwparker1

Well, about an hour from me is Altoona and Horseshoe Curve, where they do use pushers every day to assult the 1.8% grade, but nonetheless, I would have to concur with Block Line..... Western Freights... MMMMMM :-D

BWPf

by BlockLine_4111

Do these pushers you mention operate manned or unmanned (i.e. DP)?

by bwparker1

They operate manned, and are dispatched by ALTO tower.

BWP

by TB Diamond

Should you have the time and gas $$$$$$$$$$, head northeast out I-76 which parallels the old CB&Q all the way to Brush, CO with the exception of Roggen-Wiggins where it wanders out through the sand hills. At Brush the line from Sterling joins the Chicago line and traffic can be hectic. There is normally someone about the Brush depot altough the operator's job was taken off many years ago. Additionally, there is a car repair concern just east of Hudson which has their own loco.

by bwparker1

Some shots from my trip down the light rail line today,sorry the size is on the small side, but I have slow internet here at the hotel:

by BlockLine_4111

Looks like the Light Rail route turned up some sights to be seen, heh? :wink:

by bwparker1

The only disappointment was that all of the coal trains were sitting... We did see some switching activity at what looked like a UP sevicing facility...

Hoping to get north of union station tomorrow.

BWP
Last edited by bwparker1 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by BlockLine_4111

IIRC the Light Rail from Englewood to Littleton parallels the BNSF/UP.

Can TB or Caboose confirm?

by TB Diamond

BWP: Familiar territory. Always plenty of hopper and coal trains sitting in Denver. Once had to cross through the Englewood Light Rail station to get on our hopper train for Sterling. Folks waiting for the Light rail probably thought that the conductor and I were nuts, jumping off the platform and crossing the tracks. Safety First. Too bad that you missed "the good old days" of C&S Rice and BN 19th Street yards. Rice was where that new amusement park now resides. BL: Yes, Light Rail does so parallel.