• question about Baltimore light/heavy rail

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by orangeline

I'll be flying into BWI in early February and was thinking of taking light rail from the airport to downtown and then heavy rail to the area around Johns Hopkins. The reason for doing it this way is that I've never ridden either service and I'll have a little more than 2 hours to kill between landing and my meeting at JH. I checked the MTA website for downtown and saw there was no obvious transfer point between light and heavy rail services. Is this true? Would I have to pay 2 fares to make this trip?

by octr202

Amazingly, there is no direct transfer station. The two lines exist almost in seperate worlds!

The one place where they come close together (with stations) is Lexington Market. Take a look at this map and you will see that theya re a block apart:

http://www.mtamaryland.com/maps/downtow ... ore/B1.cfm

As for the fare, there is no transfer rate to my knowledge (although I usually only ride light rail when I'm there, not Metro), but depending on what you're travelling plans are that day, you can buy a day pass for $3.50 which is good for unlimited light rail, Metro, and buses for the day.

by orangeline

octr202,

Thanks for the information. I saw that on the map but didn't realize the stations were only a block apart. With respect to the Johns Hopkins station, there are two symbols identifying this station (I believe also true for Lexington Market). Does this mean each symbol refers to an entrance/exit, or are there 2 stations for that landmark?

by octr202

orangeline wrote:octr202,

Thanks for the information. I saw that on the map but didn't realize the stations were only a block apart. With respect to the Johns Hopkins station, there are two symbols identifying this station (I believe also true for Lexington Market). Does this mean each symbol refers to an entrance/exit, or are there 2 stations for that landmark?
I'm assuming that that indicates two seperate entrances...I know there's only one station for Lexington Market, Charles Center, Johns Hopkins, etc. that are shown with two on the map.

by gprimr1

I think Lexington Market may have two entrances. I don't usually ride the subway; it is a bit more dangerous in my opinion.

I recommend an MTA day pass for $3.50; it is good on bus, light rail, and metro for 24 hours.

Are you going to Johns Hopkins Hospital or University? I am pretty sure the university is nowhere near either rail system. If you're going to the university, I think you need the number 11 bus, but if your going to the hospital, you can transfer to the metro at Lexington Market. Just keep in mind, this isn't the nicest area of Baltimore (although Baltimore police have made it a lot safer); keep your head up and move quickly.