• Dual Mode Battery/Cat Operation

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by blockss

Has any attempt ever been made to design a locomotive that can store energy from its electrical source to be used at a later time when power is no longer available? Perhaps such a dual mode operation could be used to extend range outside of the normal area of operation, or could be used as a backup source of power for cases such as today when power went out in the NEC.
True, such a source would require extra equipment to carry around and energy would be lost in the process of charging the batteries(which would not be as bad if regenerative breaking did a good part of the charging). Of course we are all waiting for significant advances in battery technology. Any thoughts to entertain such an idea?

by David Benton

I think such systems have been looked at for commuter systems . Whereby , the batteries are charged at aeach stop .
I have often thought it would be a good idea , you could electrify hilly sections , or have a short bit of cantenary either side of a station , where the loco gets power to climb the hill , or acclerate away form the station , plus re charge its battieres at the same time .

by Irish Chieftain

What does this have to do with high-speed rail, may I ask...?

As for power failures on the NEC, that's the result of chronic underfunding by DC.

by blockss

Irish Chieftain wrote:What does this have to do with high-speed rail, may I ask...?

As for power failures on the NEC, that's the result of chronic underfunding by DC.
This is a subject that I did not know what section to post in. I figured High speed rail was the closest match because it has to do with future and state of the art technology and could be used for high speed service. Such a mode of operation would have faster acceleration over non-electrified track, which would result in faster service.
If you feel this belongs somewhere else, please let me know.

by Irish Chieftain

Personally, I would have put it in this forum. Not all "new technology" relates to high-speed operations, after all. Certainly, diesel high-speed operation is not really in existence (except for those that call 125 mph "high speed").
  by george matthews

blockss wrote:Has any attempt ever been made to design a locomotive that can store energy from its electrical source to be used at a later time when power is no longer available? Perhaps such a dual mode operation could be used to extend range outside of the normal area of operation, or could be used as a backup source of power for cases such as today when power went out in the NEC.
True, such a source would require extra equipment to carry around and energy would be lost in the process of charging the batteries(which would not be as bad if regenerative breaking did a good part of the charging). Of course we are all waiting for significant advances in battery technology. Any thoughts to entertain such an idea?
The London Underground has some battery locomotives for use in the tunnels for maintenance, when the power in the rails is swtiched off.

But these are not suitable for hauling passengers.

There is a flywheel tram in England, in use on a short line in the Midlands. It charges up the flywheel with an electric motor drawing its power from a short third rail at each stop. I have ridden in it when it was in Bristol.

Flywheel may have a future for Ultra Light Rail, needing no overhead and therefore needing only cheap track.

But these are irrelevent to High Speed Rail which needs megawatts of power.