Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by aspro

Hello folks. My first post so I hope this is an appropriate question. I am looking at a oneway journey Toronto-Montréal in late Sep/early Oct this year. (I might board in Guildwood, but that isn't essential.) I am familiar with the timetable and fares. VIA1 seems pretty expensive to me, but if Comfort is vis-a-vis seating, I guess VIA1 would be a much more pleasant alternative for a trip of this duration? (It's unclear to me from some official info whether VIA1 has airline-style as well as vis-a-vis seating groups.)

Of the various departures from Toronto, which are the best for service/comfort/experience? If I understand things correctly, the rolling stock is the same on all services(?) but the meal service might be a guiding factor. Other issues? Thanks!

by Ken V

If it's simply a matter of a comfortable seat then the extra cost for VIA 1 service is probably unnecessary. While the seats in VIA 1 do have more legroom and more padding than those in coach, the Comfort Class seats are still quite roomy and soft. It's much better than what you would find on an airplane.

Most trains between Toronto and Montreal use LRC cars but some, typically trains 60 and 68/668, use refurbished Budd stainless steel cars, known as HEP equipment. Most people find the LRC equipped trains are more comfortable and have a smoother ride. Some departures offer reserved seating in Comfort Class which allows the choice of a window or aisle seat. This may be a consideration especially if you board at Guildwood where the choice of seats could be very limited.

by hsr_fan

Ken V wrote:Most people find the LRC equipped trains are more comfortable and have a smoother ride.
Not to mention, the LRC equipped trains operate at 100 mph where the older cars max out at 90, correct?

by Ken V

hsr_fan wrote:Not to mention, the LRC equipped trains operate at 100 mph where the older cars max out at 90, correct?
It's been upped to 95 mph for HEP coaches now.

by aspro

Great comments, thanks. Am I right in thinking that only the 1510 and 1700 departures offer seat reservation in Comfort?

Are there non-reserved services (days/times) which are more likely than others to offer some good seating choices for boarding at Guildwood? (Travelling late Sep/early Oct)

by George L.

If you really want to avoid a glut, don't book on the express trains that run between TO and MTL (i.e. Trains 64, 66) as there are a lot of business people who frequently take those trains during the week.

I like Trains 56 and 60 - they only take 30-45 more minutes than the express trains, so your travel patience will not be stretched too tight.

Travelling by train between those two cities generally takes 5 hours or less, so it's an easy voyage. Take the extra time to check out the old railroad crossings and rail bridges along the way... :-D
  by jp1822

I recently booked a VIA 1 class ticket from Toronto to Montreal - leaving Toronto on a Saturday at 11:30 (I believe). Will this trainset be an LRC? Just thought I would take an experience on VIA 1 Class and enjoy lunch. Took a window seat on the right side of the train - is that the best side for majority of trip? Any advice/suggestions appreciated.

I'll be connecting to the Ocean to Halifax from Montreal - for the "Maritime Experience." Wanted to try this service out. Haven't done it with the Renaissance cars - but glad the Park Car is added for a perk. Not keen on the Renaissance lounge cars.

by George L.

On the Toronto-Mtl route, the best side to sit on is the right side because you get some splendid views of the St.Lawrence River and Lake Ontario.

Congratulations on such a lovely trip - I wish I were doing the same right now! :(
  by downbeat

jp1822 wrote:I recently booked a VIA 1 class ticket from Toronto to Montreal - leaving Toronto on a Saturday at 11:30 (I believe). Will this trainset be an LRC?
Probably not. #60 is usually a stainless steel HEP2 set with baggage service. However during peak travel periods, Via will mix stainless and LRC equipment on certain trains, including #60.
Just thought I would take an experience on VIA 1 Class and enjoy lunch. ...
I've done it twice Toronto-Montreal and enjoyed it immensely. The level of service is very good and so is the food.
Not keen on the Renaissance lounge cars.
I have heard these cars have been remodeled with new seating arrangements and possibly new seats, too. There were also reports last summer of LCD TV screen being installed in Renaissance lounges.
  by NS VIA FAN

downbeat wrote:
Not keen on the Renaissance lounge cars.
I have heard these cars have been remodeled with new seating arrangements and possibly new seats, too. There were also reports last summer of LCD TV screen being installed in Renaissance lounges.
I was on the Ocean last weekend and the Renaissance Lounges do have new LCD Wide-Screen TVs. Also the seating is much more comfortable now.

Here's a link to my Trip Report from Halifax to Toronto in the Rail Travel Forum.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 186#234186
  by jp1822

Good to hear about the new seats. But is there still that wasted space in the Renaissance lounge cars of the Ocean? There was a huge section where it was intended passengers could stand and drink/eat/talk near a lounge counter that had no seating etc. This should be ripped out and replaced with seating - particuarly with a long distance train such as this. More lounge seating the better. Being stuffed into a Renaissance sleeper for the all night/day journey to Halifax is not the best after the loss of the Skyline and Park Car domes. Renaissance lounges did not make up for the seating lost with the domes. Adding the Park Car during peak season is one step in the right direction. Adding some lounge seating to the transition car (between Park Car and Renaissance consist) would also help. But money is spread thin!