• Thalys high speed trains

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

where can i get some information on the high speed train in Europe? i tried google, and all i got where ticketing information and schedules

by DutchRailnut

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

thank you :-D

by Carmine

I find the European-TGV system quite complicated. Not the physical rail, but the names given to the trains. Eurostar, Duplex, Thayls, Artesia, Reseau.
Anyone can explain to us the difference, and which ones go where?

So far I got that the Thalys runs from Paris into the Benelux. Those are the red HSR trains, but some have very distinct noses, others are more rounder (Acela-like). The "PBA subset" have the distinct noses, while the "PBKA subset" have the more traditional ones.

by george matthews

Carmine wrote:I find the European-TGV system quite complicated. Not the physical rail, but the names given to the trains. Eurostar, Duplex, Thayls, Artesia, Reseau.
Anyone can explain to us the difference, and which ones go where?

So far I got that the Thalys runs from Paris into the Benelux. Those are the red HSR trains, but some have very distinct noses, others are more rounder (Acela-like). The "PBA subset" have the distinct noses, while the "PBKA subset" have the more traditional ones.
There are several different types of high speed trains.
In Scandinavia there are the X2000, designed for Swedish railways. These are tilting, as are the Pendolinos found in Italy and Britain, also in Poland and some other east European countries. In Germany there are the home grown design ICE trains, heavier than the others.

France has the TGV (Train a Grand Vitesse). French designs are also used in Spain (AVH). Denmark also has a design of diesel high speed train (with electric versions also). One of the diesel types toured the US about 8 years ago. It has exported the diesel type to Israel.

The Eurostar is a modification of the TGV, able to use several voltages, including the 750 volt DC third rail lines in southern England.

Thalys is a modification of the TGV able to use the power and signalling systems of Belgium, Netherlands and Germany (4 different power systems) as well as the signalling systems.
The TGV comes in several variants. There are single deck and double deck versions. The earliest type is at least 20 years old so there are more advanced versions.

Italy has a train called Eurostar (apparently they trademarked the name first) which uses Pendolinos.

by VikingNik

I have been on Denmark's 'high speed' diesel trains, and if we can get our hands on some (even their older models) Amtrak could really get some interesting services going. They are nice trains! I have read that they are being considered for the MWHSR initiative, and they would definitely be a good choice.

by george matthews

VikingNik wrote:I have been on Denmark's 'high speed' diesel trains, and if we can get our hands on some (even their older models) Amtrak could really get some interesting services going. They are nice trains! I have read that they are being considered for the MWHSR initiative, and they would definitely be a good choice.
About six or seven years ago a Danish built, Israeli owned set was tried out on various lines in the US. I remember it mentioned for the Chicago-Milwaukee trains, and wished I could try that out. It is a high quality train and would be suitable for that line, if the track can be passed for appropriate speeds - at least 100 mph.

The set also travelled to other lines but I can't remember where. It is ideal for medium distance high speed. It is probably not suitable for long distance. I am not sure if there is an electric version.

by Nasadowsk

ABB/Adtranz IC-3 'Flexiliner". Comes in EMU or DMU units, and EMUs and DMUs can be in the same train.

They were designed (but not operated) to couple/uncouple while rolling. basically, you can cut the rear cars at a station and have it stop, while the front end keeps rolling along through and goes elsewhere.

Forget ever seeing them in the US, even if they were FRA compliant (Adtranz proposed such a thing), nobody in the US is forward thinking enough to seriously go into DMUs, even though they'd be perfect for a lot of places...

by DutchRailnut

The Flexliner did demo for Amtrak but did not perform satisfactory in USA mainly due to signal detection failure, the units went back to Israel after project was done.
The reason Israeli units were used instead of Danish was the Danish units did not have Airconditioning.

by pdman

Though technically not rail, yesterday I rode the MAGLEV train from Shanghai's Long Yang Street station to the airport. Fantastic 20 mile ride in 8 minutes and ten seconds. Highest speed shown on the signboard was 431 kilometers/per hour. Fare was $w-.00 one way. By showing an airline ticket the fare is $6.10. It appears to be a very broad gage. Seats were three and three, but lots of space.

FYI, on the Thalys: I've always liked them because they are close to the old DL&W colors.

by koen

Maybe i can help :P

by gt7348b

Most HSR systems are country-by-country and the ones currently operating in Europe are:

TGV - France. These run several types including the Reseau, Duplex, Atlantique, and ex-Eurostar.
- The Reseau (French for network), as its name implies, is designed to run on the entire TGV network and sometimes into other neighborhing countries like Belgium or Switzerland. BTW, these are undergoing refurbishment with the new interiors designed by Christian Lacroix - something completely different.
- The Duplex is simply a double-level TGV that runs primarily between Paris and Lyon and sometimes down to Marseille and AFAIK operates exclusively from the Gare du Lyon.
- Atlantique - predecessor to the Duplex
- ex-Eurostar - Old Eurostar trainsets that run exlusively in France on the same routes as the TGV Reseau, but primarily between Paris and Lille and its environs.
- New!! TGV-Est is a new trainset that should debut in 2007 when the line east (hence the name) to Metz and Strasbourg opens up.

The destinations are too many to name, but some of the major lines are between Paris and Calais via LIlle, Paris to Marseille, and Paris to Bordeaux. The line to Strasbourg should open up its first portion next year.

That's France

ICE-1, ICE-2, and ICE-3 - Germany has three models. As the names imply they are simply generational developments, though the ICE-3 are multi-voltage (meaning they can run on other countries networks like into Belgium) and the power car also has passenger seating plus a lounge where you can look out the front window!! The driver's seat is set low so passengers can see out! BTW - if you ride, bring your earphones since the music selection is always interesting and you can listen to the radio.

As with France, the destinations are too many to name, but the line between Frankfurt and Cologne is not be missed.

Spain - AVE - A talgo built model that runs to Seville and, if it isn't already, to Barcelona in the near future.

Sweden - X2000. Don't know much about this one, but I'm guessing it runs between Stockholm and Gothenburg and onto Copenhagen across the Oresund bridge.

Italy - Eurostar. Tilting trains, but there are dedicated high-speed tracks between Rome and Bologna, Firenze, and I'm not sure in the Milan line is open yet.

The two multi-national HSR are the:

Eurostar - lovely white trains with blue and gold trim that run between London and Paris or Brussels

Thalys - Red trains. As noted, two types. PBA - The original with two windows that can run only between Paris, Brussels, and Amsterdam, and the PBKA - with one window that can also go to Cologne.

There will also be in Jan 2007 the HST-Zuid between Amsterdam and Brussels that is a joint venture between KLM and the Dutch rail operator that will have its own livery and train sets. Also, in case you're curious, Thalys and Eurostar companies are both actually based in Brussels and are therefore Belgian companies.

Hope this helps.