Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Dieter

Marquis,

Thanks for the reassurances that Renn gear is better than I fared. Yes, one trip, and I was sitting at the end of the car, which I'm sure didn't help.

I had a sinking feeling in my drawing room that it might be the last time I could book one. It's remarkable how well maintained that equipment is after so many years.

Dieter.

by NS VIA FAN

Dieter wrote:The new cars are cramped and ride like a bus. Lightweight isn't better unless you're looking at fuel conservation.
Rides like a Bus??? I was on the Canadian a couple of weeks ago and after several times now on the Renaissance Ocean and the former Enterprise. I would have much preferred the smooth riding Renaissance cars to the Budd equipment I was in. Its been 15 years plus since the Budd equipment was rebuilt and could once again use a major refurbishing.
Dieter wrote:Face it. EVERYBODY wants to ride the Dome for a while and enjoy some form of Observation car at the tail of the train, not in the middle. A Dome is in demand year round and shouldn't be limited to seasonal travel. Dieter.
Leaving Toronto on the Canadian the dome was full but the novelty soon wore off. There were plenty of seats even before we reached the Bela Subdivision, still within the city limits. (One fellow, obviously a railfan, I believe ate meals in shifts with his wife so he wouldn’t lose his front dome seat) And there were a couple of people in “Silver & Blue” class I never once saw in the dome.

The only time I ever saw the dome full on the Ocean was when the free continental breakfast was offered in the Park Car in the morning. After they finished eating most people just returned to their accommodations.
  by NS VIA FAN

VIA is planning another special train again this year around the Remembrance Day holiday similar to the “Veterans Train” of last year.

The Ocean departing Montreal on November 6 will be designated the “War Brides Train” . Returning many to “Pier 21" (Canada’s Ellis Island) where they first arrived in Canada. Pier 21 is now a National Historic Site and adjacent to the Cruise Ship Terminal across from the VIA Station in Halifax.

http://www.viarail.ca/cgi-bin/Affichage ... ebcomm=721

http://www.pier21.ca/

The return Ocean on November 9 will be designated the “Troop Train” again carrying Veterans to Remembrance Day Services in Ottawa.

http://www.viarail.ca/cgi-bin/Affichage ... ebcomm=722

Doing a search for space on “ReserVia” for these trains I see they will be using the Budd Stainless Steel cars instead of the Renaissance equipment the Ocean has been using. Last years “Venterans Train” was 30 cars long and already ReserVia is showing all sleeping cars as Sold Out!

by CROR410

I wish they would plan a fall trip specifically for the purpose of enjoying the golden colors of fall. A few sky-lounge cars would be sweet. Halifax to Moncton, overnight in Moncton, do a little shopping, and then return to Halifax the next day would be sweet.

by marquisofmississauga

This is a good idea which VIA would be wise to adopt. There is always a lot of first class accommodation available between Halifax and Moncton. I have been on some trips where the sleepers were almost empty. Even if sleeper space was not assigned to passengers, offering a seat in the Park car and lunch in the diner would appeal to many travellers and bring in much-needed revenue to VIA.

Although VIA does not put together their own packages any more (and on the route of the Skeena with its overnight in Prince George that is regrettable because it would do a lot to encourage business if they did so) perhaps a deal could be made with a couple of Moncton hotels.
  by NS VIA FAN

Here's #14, the eastbound OCEAN recorded at Amherst, NS on Christmas Eve

6413 F40
6420 F40
6453 F40
7003 Baggage
7223 Coach
7225 Coach
7108 VIA 1 as Coach
7230 Coach
7314 Lounge/Service
7222 Coach
7226 Coach
7217 Coach
7227 Coach
7315 Lounge/Service
7522 Sleeper
7509 Sleeper
7513 Sleeper
7504 Sleeper
7312 Lounge/Service
7400 Diner
7308 Lounge/Service
7500 Sleeper
7525 Sleeper
7501 Sleeper
7526 Sleeper
7503 Sleeper

-8 Coaches
-9 Sleepers

by downbeat

And relayed from the Atlantic Rails list, here is another consist, observed Dec. 26 at Fairview Jct., near Halifax.

Via #15
6415 F40PH-2
6407 F40PH-2
6425 F40PH-2
8623 Baggage
8101 Coach
8110 Coach
8142 Coach
8138 Coach
8132 Coach
8108 Coach
8141 Coach
8107 Coach
8501 Skyline Dome
Chateau Cadillac
Chateau LaSalle
Chateau Richelieu
Chateau Roberval
Chateau Viger
Acadian
Chateau Iberville
Chateau Salaberry
Chateau Laval
Chateau Jolliet
Chateau Bienville
Revelstoke Park

by Tadman

Anybody get pics of this?
  by NS VIA FAN

VIA has uploaded new schedules in ReserVIA that show the Ocean & Chaleur operating separately beginning on June 15th. The day that Easterly Class resumes for the summer with the addition of a Park Car on the Ocean.

The current VIA timetable shows different departure and arrival times at Central Station only for the Ocean & Chaleur. This is to allow for the combining or splitting of the train if it has to occupy two tracks in Central due to the length of the consist. All other times, St Lambert and east are the same.

But beginning June 15, there will be different times for each train at other stops too: At Charney (Quebec City) for example, the eastbound Chaleur #616 will depart at 21:42 and the Ocean #614 at 22:17.

During the summer in other years, the Ocean and Chaleur have run combined with the consists approaching 30 cars in length. This required double and triple stops at some stations. Time keeping was terrible....... Hopefully this will eliminate the problem.
Last edited by NS VIA FAN on Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by jp1822

Westbound it will now leave Gaspe at 15:05, as opposed to 14:30.

Check your times, it appears the Chaleur will continue to leave Charney ahead of the Chaleur (departure from Charney for the Chaleur at 21:42, as opposed to the Ocean at 22:17.

It is good that VIA is finally recognizing they need to operate separate trains for the Chaleur and Ocean. I just wish they started it in May when I have a potential trip to Gaspe on the Chaleur scheduled. Hoping they can get me all the way out to Gaspe by train and not a short turn!
  by jp1822

Interesting that if you travel between Montreal and Charney, VIA tries to sell one a ticket in the Chaleur, versus the Ocean, that is when the Chaleur is running.

I'd still like to see if patronage would increase if the Chaleur were to directly serve Quebec City - more so to bring passengers further west towards Gaspe. Would seem it would take about a half hour for the Chaleur to get from Charney to Quebec City and then another 1/2 hour for it to return. But a reverse move or wye would have to be involved at the Quebec City station I believe. Only way this would work is if the Chaleur departed Montreal at least by 6:00 p.m. (18:00), and departed Gaspe around in time to arrive into Montreal by 9:00 a.m. to make needed connections.
  by jp1822

So has the Chaleur and Ocean started to run as seperate trains or has the schedule not kicked in yet? If it has kicked in, how are the trains operating? Any better with the timekeeping? The Ocean last year was even having trouble with timekeeping after it had split from the Chaleur at Matapedia (to/from Halifax).

Let's hope VIA does a good job marketing the Easterly Class this year for the Ocean. Unless I read something wrong, it appeared, VIA is going to sell sleeping car space in the Park Car this year to try and get the triple bedroom and possible two double bedrooms sold as a "suite." Are they also going to possibly operate a Chateau car next to the Park Car as a "crew car." I think this was done a couple of occasions last year. It's definitely worth the trip - on the Ocean - with the Easterly Class Learning Experience and Park Car Dome/Lounge in tow.

As for the Chaleur, this train could also be marketed well to add to its patronage and operate with at least two coaches and more Chateau or Manor series sleepers. A full diner and Skyline Dome Car certainly helps make this train complete in peak season!

I've seen passengers just take the train out and back from Montreal to Gaspe - the passengers and train making a same day turn at Gaspe. It's definitely worth the ride for the scenery.

I did note in some areas on my recent trip that the Chaleur did operate a little faster in certain sections. Course the line could still could use some trackwork. We crawled at low speeds over most of the bridges. Beautiful trip along the shoreline etc. out to Gaspe!

And if the Chaleur did indeed operate as a seperate train, perhaps VIA would be open to having a private rail car tacked onto the back. Course "parking" the private car in Gaspe for any extended period may be an issue, so this may be a "same day turn" with perhaps an extra trip on the private car from Montreal to some destination in Canada - or even just a tour in Montreal before or after. I did notice a lot of "trainees" on the Chaleur when I took the train back in May. So it seemed like they were gearing up for possibly adding some cars to the train - perhaps as demand permitted. My trip on the Chaleur was nearly sold out on the way to Gaspe and fully sold out on the way back from Gaspe - at least in sleeper. We could have used the full diner, but the Skyline Dome Car worked out well. I don't know why VIA doesn't try to serve an early lunch on this train to try and get additional revenue (or especially when it may be running a little late to Gaspe). Running as a seperate train, they shouldn't have to short turn the train at New Carlisle.

Be interesting if the Chaleur operated with a Skyline and Park Car if demand warranted it - operating as a seperate train etc.! VIA I think could find a Park Car for the Chaleur. They only need one Park Car for the service and if they are going to try and operate four sleepers and two coaches - it may be well needed. Course they could the car off if there was a private car to be accommodated!
  by marquisofmississauga

The Chaleur is indeed operating separately from the Ocean: from 15 June to 12 Oct. ex-Montreal. Consists have been posted on some sites. The dining car is being operated for the peak season and it is located in the middle of the four sleepers. (Some consists last summer had only three sleepers.) My wife and I and another couple have booked a trip for August. We booked nearly three months in advance and on the "going" trip all rooms were shown as sold out just after we made our booking. We will not do a same-day return. It didn't work well on my two previous attempts at so doing, although the service should be more reliable with the train running separately. It is a beautiful area so hiring a car for our two-day stay seems appropriate. Although the dining car or Skyline is not open for early lunch, the crew will provide a sandwich and salad take-away on request. I have friends who did just that a few weeks ago. They enjoyed their lunch whilst sitting at the station.

The Park car drawing room and suite "C&D" have been sold on the Ocean since last year. Reservia shows them as being available for two persons, even though there is a third berth in the drawing room (officially known as a triple bedroom) and the suite, of course, has two uppers. VIA sent us a 45% discount coupon for Easterly Class on the Ocean, but it is valid only in the regular and deluxe Renaissance rooms. As we aren't fond of the Renaissance upper berths, we splurged on two adjacent rooms at a very reasonable surcharge for a September trip.
  by jp1822

As mentioned it definitely seemed that they were gearing up to add more sleepers to the Chaleur for the "split" train. VIA should certainly watch the bookings so as to possibly add another sleeper as needed. So glad they are operating this train separate from the Ocean for peak season. I didn't realize they were selling Park Car space. I could have sworn on my late June trip last year, no rooms were being sold in the Park Car.