Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BMC

Obviously, official LIRR issued clothing is taboo. Evidently, this does not diminish the desire of some, but my word of caution is still the same. If you are NOT an employee and are found on LIRR property wearing OFFICIAL LIRR gear of any sort be prepared to be questioned and maybe even detained (until your ID is checked) and your item confiscated as well.

Just as obviously, if you are wearing "unofficial" LIRR wear such as the museum stuff (which I have a bunch of as well) and you are approached, don't get in a snit, but put that up to again a post 9/11 world where mass transit targets are sought by terrorists.

Just because they were not issued by the uniform office does not mean that you get an automatic pass when it comes to the MTA Police checking you out. What is to prevent a terrorist from getting a shirt from the same museum you did in the hope of looking just official enough to get close to where he wants to be?

I love coming to this site and reading the posts and contribuiting some times as well, but some of you just don't get it. After Toyko, after Spain, after England and a few other less publicized attacks and threats, the LIRR has to take and approach each and every person as a potential problem. What you see as a harmless profession of your interest in railroading and the LIRR, they HAVE to see as a "person of interest".

I know until my retirement I didn't want to be the employee that dropped the ball and caused death and destruction on the LIRR.

by Long Island 7285

I don't mind being questioned, how ever the MTAPD I come to notice is very cocky with there attidue and some officers are very discrspectfull just for wareing the on official gear. I gave you ID, I Corporate with whats asked and they still disrespect me when I treat them to nice, I guss being respectfull to some of them boys is not enough to get some respect back or even a thank you for keeping you eyes out and being on our side. some have also been much better but over all attidue problem needs to be adressed. I don't want to go off the wall here, how ever I strongly beleive that if the MTA PD would just keep a "good man" file with our names on it, that when they ID us our names pop us next to "railfan -- no threat" this way the attitude issue can get corrected in 2 ways instead of just a talking to."

Any clothing that can catch me hell is not worn near the LIRR at all. with the one risk/eception of my LIRR vest at railfest this year, though the yard is LIRR's RMLI uses it and I used my official vest as a "safety" item and nothing more, and I was not questioned, but rather found a few extra vests given to some other members.

NOTE: NYCT issues any guest working on the meueaum fleet an official NYCTA vest. they are required to ware it while in the yard. not a bad idea for RMLI members to ware vests while in the yard at LD, as was shown at railfest.

by Clem

"Keep a file?"

Vere are your papers, young man???

You really can't be that ignorant of history to suggest that a police agency should keep lists of good people now, can you?

Clem

by Long Island 7285

Clem, I really don't know on this one, terror threats can come in any way shape size or form and not matter what fan the question or what bag they search. there is nothing they can or will ever do that will stop it from happening.

some where along the line good and bad will cancle each other our. makeing the list of "railfans" so when we get questioned they don't disrespect us. I dont care about being questioned, but do it the right way and dont come to me as a real nasty "beep" becuase i shoretned your donut brake BC i took a legal photo or am wareing a non official LIRR shirt. some where the good and bad need to cancle each other out.

the current way, every one is beleived to be a terrorist, and there useing a lottery to weed them out. the lottery is checking random bags. and questioning any one letting shutters fly on a train or bus.

now back to the jackets, I can use one my self for the winter and when im out snow blowing :-D
  by N340SG

I can use one my self for the winter and when im out snow blowing
LOL That's all I use mine for these days. After being bitched at a few times over the years simply because I was readily identifiable as an employee because I had an LIRR parka on, I have relegated my parka to around the house chores. I keep a low profile on the trains these days, lest somebody yell at me because the train is six minutes and one second late. Yeah, like it's definitely my fault. There are some clueless riders out there who will start screaming at the first LIRR employee they see when things are not going their way.

Tom

by Clem

Experienced employees whose jobs do not require dealing with the public go through great lengths not to be readily identified by their clothing. They have been spit at, punched, cursed and had objects thrown at them by their valued customers.

There are people employed by the Railroad who get paid to deal with these idiots. Most of them are very good at it. Leaving them to handle the masses frees others up do do their jobs.

I recall one court case where not only the kids, but Dad, was standing on an overpass in Queens throwing bricks at trains. At the arraignment, the judge simply said "everyone hates the LIRR," and let Dad go.

Clem

by Dave Keller

Our judicial system at its best!

And a great example to set for your kids: throwing bricks at trains.

Perhaps the tradition will continue into the next generation.

We can only hope! (Yeah, right!) What Dirtbags

Dave

by Long Island 7285

can't put it any better, even the judical system hates the LIRR.

by phoenix

BMC does bring up a valid point.

Thats why the coat only comes out on my property. Rarely do I venture on or within a mile of the ROW or ANY LITT property whilst donning it.

Just playing it safe. I've been detained at ISP for lesser reasons.

by MACTRAXX

Clem and Tom: Being the buff I am, I have a couple of items with LIRR on them with my favorite being a train-service issue vest-type sweater. I do agree with you on avoiding wearing LIRR clothing sometimes even buff stuff,so to speak. I remember that at LIST we used to get the Along The Track newsletter on a regular basis via members employed by the LIRR and I recall a write-up on how a burglary suspect/trespasser was caught-this man had on a full LIRR uniform of some form with coat,etc but some sharp-eyed employe noticed that he was wearing the wrong footwear - sneakers - while he was on LIRR property and was questioned and than arrested on burglary and trespass charges I recall. Sometimes as an old buddy of mine would say "Mum's the word!" - MACTRAXX