Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Head-end View

In recent weeks I've often heard Divide Tower advising train crews that either Special Instruction 100-M or 100-W was in effect. Can someone tell us what those orders mean? :-)

by LIRRNOVA55

100-M is MAS is reduced for the M7 equipment, mostly 3MPH
100-W is a speed restriction to to i beleive all equipment.

Im sure sombody else can explain better.

by alcoc420

I had the impression that 100w is reduced speed due to weather.

by BMC

It concerns reduced speed, that is correct. At this time of the year it is probably due to the wet leaves on the rail and the possibilty of slip-slide, blown station stops and flat wheels.

Pretty common for October and November.

by jayrmli

100-M is due to the slip slide. 100-W is put in effect when necessary due to bad weather. Both require the speed to be reduced.

Jay

by Richard Glueck

I wonder how many current LIRR people long for the bygone days of heavy steel coaches and heavy locomotives pulling them? It seems like all this lightweight modern crap has done is confound and creat problems for the road.

by Form 19

Rich, the current fleet is heavier than what they replaced. The cars, both MU and diesel average a 50,000lb increase over the previous generation of cars. The locomotives are approximately 30,000lb heavier than previous diesels.

What compounds the braking problem with the newer cars is literally the braking ability of the equipment. Since the LIRR wants the cars to reduce speed at a faster rate (3.7fps) than previous generation equipment (1.6fps), there is a higher braking rate design which in turn causes the wheels to lock up and the trains to slide. Due to the amount of trains and the close blocking necessary to run their service and still have an MAS of 80mph, they had to have a braking design that met the requirements they needed in order to accomplish what they wanted.

The Rail Road would be irresponsible if they didn't slow the trains down when there are serious adhesion problems due to leaves, snow and rain.

by de402

Maybe the dudes and dudettes of MOW should come out of their trailers and start cutting back the ROW. Less trees = less leaves.

by Clem

The right-of-way department has virtually been eliminated due to budget cut-backs. Tree-trimming is accomplished using outside contractors. The cost is incredibly huge and the going is very slow.

Yes, there are many areas where removing trees would eliminate huge problems, but between community opposition, the short length of leaf (leaves?) season and a general lack of interest by those responsible, don't look for massive cleanups any time soon.

CLem

by DutchRailnut

Don't forget that the right off way may only be about 30 feet from nearest rail.
Most trees are beyond that point and do not belong to LIRR, so LIRR can only touch those trees if imminent danger were to exist.
Wheelslip despite being dangerous in some situations is not an Imminent danger.