Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Frank

What is the status of M7 7291? I heard it was involved in a fire in Babylon. Is it going to be repaired?
  by N340SG

That pair is sitting in HMC. The damaged area of 7291 was stripped out for damage assessment. The fire damage is repairable...it's just a matter of who is going to repair it and when.
Unfortunately, as happens to any car that sits around the shops for too long, the pair is being cannibalized for parts. :(
That only makes the situation worse.
  by Frank

N340SG wrote:That pair is sitting in HMC. The damaged area of 7291 was stripped out for damage assessment. The fire damage is repairable...it's just a matter of who is going to repair it and when.
Unfortunately, as happens to any car that sits around the shops for too long, the pair is being cannibalized for parts. :(
That only makes the situation worse.
Is the pair going to be returned to service eventually?

by N340SG

Is the pair going to be returned to service eventually?
That's the current plan.

by MACTRAXX

Tom: From reading this I can't help but wonder what the first M7 write-offs will be. Will Bombardier replace them outright under warranty like Budd replaced M1s 9175-9176? Just wondering....MACTRAXX

by N340SG

Mac,

Of course the first thing would be if it can be deemed the manufacturer's fault due to design flaws.
The major damage we have had to our M-7 fleet so far, I.E., sideswipe damage and fire damage caused by an employee's fusee, cannot be blamed on the manufacturer. The LIRR has to eat those costs.

Tom

by Clem

The Railroad has yet to accept the M-7's and they are all still owned by the builder. I suppose all the damages, retrofeit and warranty work will be negotiated. Luckly the only design flaws so far that have resulted in some smokey shorts down below haven't resulted in any serious loss, unlike the M-1's.

When the M-1's came, two were lost in Far Rockaway when rain water caused arcing between the show beam and the radius rod. Budd replaced the cars, which burned to the floors, under warranty.

Clem

by N340SG

The Railroad has yet to accept the M-7's and they are all still owned by the builder
Yes, but you'll recall that the LIRR and MTA have already OK'd the expenditure of $1.7 mil to repair the sideswipe cars.
There's just no way the manufacturer can have the blame for that damage pinned on them. They would have had to try to blame the sideswipe on brakes or some system on the M-7 trains failing. That was not tried, so the LIRR has to eat that cost. Same thing will happen with 7291. You really have to stretch the imagination past the breaking point to blame a fusee fire in an employee's bag on the car manufacturer...unless the wall panels were advertised as fireproof or something along those lines.
The shoe beam fires in the early M-1s were able to be blamed on the manufacturer...hence the problem becoming Budd's.

Tom