Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by geddy2112

I'm sure this type of question has been posted a thousand times over...

I am currently going to school to get my degree in Electrical Engineering. Seems you can't wipe your ass these days without having a degree! I have 14 years experience in the electronics field, as well as mechanical work.

What I am curious about is, what path does a person take to get a position at the Hillside facility or as an Engineer (operater) with the LIRR? Yes, I know you need to shovel s%@t for a few years to work yourself into any of these types of positions. My school has a partnership with the MTA and offers an "internship", but they are extremly vague about what potentially is offered.

In fact, I am having a hard time even finding out what kind of positions actually exist within the LIRR... Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

by Clem

The engineering jobs are generally management positions that are pretty low payed though maybe easy to get as a starting point. It helps greatly if you are black, middle eastern or hispanic.

As far as an locomotive engineer's job, send a resume. Again, the above criteria would help, but it is definately possible to get hired if you are white.

Play down the train buff angle, as the railroad gets far too many nutty ones applying who think they are owed something and have horrible attitudes.

LIRR Employment
Jamaica Station
Jamaica NY 11561

by jg greenwood

Does the Long Island Rail Road post their locomotive engr. vacancies, or is the submission of a resume' sufficient?

by 9C1LT1

Hi Geddy2112,

Seems like most of the schools around the NY metro area have some sort of partnership with the MTA involving internships. I’ve been to the career center a few times at my school and it’s very hard to get any information regarding LIRR internships or “summer work” as they call it. From what the few people have told me the summer work is not in operations fields but Information Technology work etc… But I (probably like you) need those internship credits to graduate so I’ll be looking at different companies, the NYCT for example has a book of summer internships, “projects” as they call it, so that’s an alternative.
About the locomotive engineer positions, check Metro-North’s website as they have the Locomotive Engineer position posted.

© Barry

by jg greenwood

I realize Metro North posts their engr. vacancies. Does the LIRR also post theirs?

by www123

9C1LT1 wrote:Hi Geddy2112,

Seems like most of the schools around the NY metro area have some sort of partnership with the MTA involving internships. I’ve been to the career center a few times at my school and it’s very hard to get any information regarding LIRR internships or “summer work” as they call it.
© Barry
On a recent career fair at Polytechnic University (mid-october) LIRR representative told us that they don't have any internships. There was an entry-level engineering position, but again, guy was like "read the flyer and apply if you want".